17

Ch. 17

"You know Ally, you should get new jobs more often...I mean talk about FREE FOOD!", Ava yells later that evening as well walk the streets of New York.

"Who's idea was it to eat at Luigi's"

"Twas Jay's idea"  she replies

"Bless you!", I squeezing him tightly "Alright, stop...cant breathe", he says in a strangled voice

I immediately let go even though I know he's joking, "sorry".

I glance at my wristwatch and it's almost seven "Shit, guys I've gotta run..Nathan's goons are gonna be at my apartment any minute now".

"Uh Ally, before you leave--", Ava says

"We got you something", Jay finishes, holding a small box. I take the box and open it. In it is a silver necklace, engraved on it is..'A2J'..

I'm guessing you know what that stands for right?. Here's a hint : the first letter of our names.

"Guys I'm not even moving out of town"

"We both thought all three of us could each have something that reminds us of one another. I've got a bracelet and Jay's got a ring"

Ava is halfway down waterworks road when I look at her. "You're not going to cry, are you?", I ask, also trying to contain mine "No, I've just got something in my eye that's all", she sniffs and wipes her eyes.

I giggle and hug her.

"Such cry babies"

I let go of Ava and elbow Jay in the ribs before he pulls me in and kisses my hair, "we're proud of you Ally"

"You guys are crazy. Now run along you, I don't want to be tardy on moving day", I chuckle softly

"You're absolutely right", Jay nods, wrapping his arm around Ava's waist. When she rests her head on his shoulder, he winks at me.

I watch my two best friends down the pathway, playfully shoving one another.

*

Now I don't know about you but I'll be totally weirded out if there was black SUV with men in black suits standing in front of my apartment.

I walk past like I don't see them until a less brawny looking guy clears his throat, "Miss Thompson?"

"Yes?"

"Benjamin Ryder, Personal Assistant to Mr McCoy. I'm here to make sure your move is pleasant"

"Could've taken a cab", I roll my eyes "come on, I'll show you in"

My things have been packed into the trunk of a large SUV and I'm standing in front of my apartment giving it one last long thoughtful stare. I still cannot believe I'm leaving. It isn't until someone calls my attention that I snap out of my thoughts.

I place my apartment keys in the mailbox, glanced one last time at my apartment and get in the car.

Few minutes into the drive and the silence because deafening, ironic isn't it. Finally Ryder sighs, "you could relax now, we're almost there"

I look at myself and realized that I'm clammed up so close to the door, any further and I'm practically out of the car. "No, no it's alright..I already owe Nathan a lot, I wouldn't want to add any more"

"Of course", Ryder nods politely.

Few minutes later...

"Miss Thompson?..you could get down now, we're here". Realizing I'm the only one left in the car, I smile sheepishly and get out.