16

Ch. 16

"Jay..you're here early, what's up?"

Jason moves out of the way, revealing someone I'm least expecting. It's Avery looking pale and worn out

"What are you doing here?", I ask

"I --I was too naive to see the truth and--"

"I asked why you're here Avery", I interrupt rudely

"Ally...", My glare darts to Jay who steps forward.

"Are you protecting her!?"

"Just...listen to her, please"

I take a deep breath and step out of the way, letting them in, "Now, what the heck are you doing here"

"I--". Ava wipes under her eyes and continues, "...I came to apologize for my behavior a few weeks ago. I had no right to act the way i did...you guys were just looking out for me"

"Look how that turned out", I snort.

"I know you're mad at me but I gotta say, I'm really sorry Al..the day after our argument was our anniversary and I couldn't bear to listen to everything you said because deep down, I knew you were right--"

"No kidding", I mutter

"Ally please", Jay sighs.

"He told me to meet him at a restaurant and i did...the only problem was, he didn't show--"

I sit up in my arm chair with wide eyes "What do you mean he didn't show?"

She wipes her teary eyes and shakes her head, "I called him several times but he wasn't picking up so I decided to check on him, since I had a spare key to his apartment. I got there and--he was in bed with some red haired chick", she starts sobbing and Jay pulls her close and kisses her hair.

"I tried to warn you but you wouldn't listen. I thought I was helping my friend, I almost got mugged because of you"

"I know you're probably mad, and I understand but I need my old friend back. I was too ashamed to face you all week, and I've felt so lost without you all this time. I--"

"I'm not the one you should be apologizing to, it's Jay you should care about. You neglected him for so long, he almost married Margaret because he was sick of waiting for you to change your mind...and you tell me I'm probably mad? Do you know how much hurt you've caused him?, how many nights he's ---", I trailed off, swallowing the rest of my anger.

Ava shifts her teary gaze to Jay, "Is that true?"

"You ignored me every time I tried to open up. You gave your all to Chad and he still wasn't any good. Thinking the both you could be together. I fucking love you Avery"

"I always have"

"And now?", she ask, walking up to Jay who's leaning on the book shelf.

"I don't know...how about --c", Jason trails off, pointing to the ceiling. As soon as Avery tilts her head to look, he locks lips with hers. She gives in even though she's stunned.

I wipe the tears threatening to fall and cough, "uh guys, could you stop? I'm getting sick just looking at you"

"Sorry", Ava blushes. We stare at each other for so long, both longing for the other.

"I missed you so much", I say quietly. Her shoulders fall in relief as she runs into my arms. I glance at Jason and he gives me a tiny smile.

After an hour or so, I realize I haven't told them about the job. So I drink in oxygen, "I was offered a job at Skylark industries"