15

Ch. 15

Enter Ally

"Ugh, I thought you were never going to come back to work. Just...don't pass out on me again"

I chuckle as Janice embraces me in a massive bear hug. "How are you feeling?"

"Well--", I trail off as my cellphone vibrates in my clothes.

It's like the fourth time this morning. I'm so excited about work that I haven't bothered to check it out. Just as I reach into my pocket, Becky barges into the kitchen screaming like her life depended on it, "He's back, he's back, he's back!!", she pants

"Who's back?"

"Skylark Industry's heir...take a look", she switches on the television and everyone in the room gathers.

"...so i hereby reclaim ownership of this establishment and promise to.."

"We're live outside Skylark Industries after the just concluded press conference regarding the return of its heir. Sources say he's been in New York for several months, hiding under a false identity but now we see the Ashton McCoy stepping out of the building and--"

"Isn't he dreamy? All that's left for you to do is meet him and I'll be $3000 richer", Beck giggles

"Ally, are you okay?", Janice asks, feeling my head

"Yeah, you look sort of pale. Do you need to go home?", Beck asks as well, leading me to a chair nearby.

I look up at my friends and nod, words refuse to come out. I try to talk but nothing comes out..

"I-i'm feeling a bit drowsy", I answer in a hushed voice.

"No problem, you just go home and get some rest", Beck sighs "...we'll cover for you okay"

"Thanks guys". I struggle to my feet and head for my locker where I grab my jacket. I leave the restaurant still dazed.

'He could be using you, lying to you..he could hurt you'.

My cellphone rings and I answer, "Did you watch the news?", asks the voice on the other end of the line

"Yes Jay, I saw it"

"Are you okay...Do you want me to come over?"

"Not yet, Papa's getting discharged today so--"

"Just call me when you get to the hospital okay?"

"Thanks Jay"

"No problem Al"

I get to my apartment and meet the last person I want to see leaning against the door to my apartment. "What are you doing here?"

"Alexa please just listen to me", he sighs and moves in.

"Listen to what, why didn't you tell me?"

"Because I didn't want anyone to know and come on I tried reaching you but you weren't answering"

I take out my cell phone and he's right, he did try to reach me. I have two text messages that read: I really need to talk to you and two missed calls.

"Besides, we're not in any official type of relationship. Me not telling you my identity is basically precautionary. I played my part, I did try to get a hold of you but you weren't answering. Are you really mad at me like right now?"

"You're right, we're not in any type of relationship or whatsoever so we're done here. I suggest you leave and start focusing on more important things like your company and just leave me alone"