4

Ch. 4

I'm totally oblivious of my surroundings when I run out of the mall, my eyes glassy with tears and my vision blurry, until someone yanks at my arm and the ground escaped from under my feet.

"What the fuck is wrong with you!?..do you want to die!", a voice echoes in my head

Huh?

Just then a truck whooshes past me and realization set in.

"Are you okay?", asks the same voice. I look up at the guy supporting me at the moment since my legs are too weak to hold me up. I jerk away at the recognition

"What..are you stalking me or something?", I yell at him

I stare him square in the face as his widens and he curses under his breath. "You know the traffic lights are for a reason. If you really want to commit suicide, why not do that where innocent souls can't see you?"

"Oh my god", I scoff in disbelief, "who the hell do you think you are!", I ask irritably

"I believe I'm the guy who just saved your life", he answers, not at all affected by my outburst.

"I didn't ask for your help", I say stubbornly

"Seriously...this is what i get?", he chuckles and starts walking away.

I sigh in frustration, "Wait..look, I'm sorry, I'm just not in the best of moods right now"

He scoffs, "you're telling me. After bumping into me back there and walking away all teared up..anyone would've guessed"

I shift awkwardly and pull a lock of hair behind my ear. "Thanks for...", I clear my throat, "..not letting me die back there"

"It's alright..you need a lift?", he asks

"Oh, no...I can manage", I tell him, trying to sound strong.

"After that..", he says, pointing out the spot i'd almost gotten run over "..I don't think so, come on"

"I said I can handle it!", I say impatiently

"Sure", he breathes, walking towards me until he's few inches in front of me, making me hitch a breath. I raise my scarf to my lips and this makes him smirk. He grabs my arm "let's go"

"I --hey!"

*

Five minutes later, I'm in his car sitting quietly with my head resting on the window. I can feel him glance at me several times but I don't bother to say a word.

"Nice car", I say finally "very sleek"

He doesn't reply, just focuses on the road emotionlessly.

"Why did you save me?..and why are you helping me?", I ask out of nowhere.

"Let's just say I was doing the truck driver a favor", he says, locking eyes for the first time in the last ten minutes.

I pout and continue looking out the window. "Also, i wouldn't get my umbrella back if you were smashed to pulp now would I?"

"You're so annoying", I groan and softly jab my head in the window. "And yet you're in my car", he chuckles softly like he was mocking me.

"It's not like i'd be here if i had a choice. You practically forced me, remember", I turn to look at him. His jaw hardens and he swerves suddenly and pulls up

"Get out", he breathes.

"What?...we're not even there yet"

"I said get out. You want a choice, you got one", he replies without taking his eyes off the road "But..it's raining", I whine