Chapter 39

Note: Ruby here, sorry about the delay in this update, seems we hit a bit of a writers block. So just a warning that this chapter has skipped forward a few months. Please vote and comment. Love Ruby xx

*Ruby POV*

A seven long gruelling months have passed since I found out I was pregnant. I was now the size of an elephant with ankles to match. Kenzie and I figured that it could be within the next month I would pop or as I felt burst. And believe me I was ready for it to be over with already.  I honestly still haven’t made up my mind as to whether I was excited or not.

We had survived in the cabin for so long it was now feeling worse than a prison. The generators went out maybe two months ago, they did well to last us the five months that they had. The local stores in the town were now out of supplies, and each supply run found us going further and further away. The walkers were another story. They seemed to know we were here, more and more came each day. First off it was easy enough to handle but now it was getting impossible. Our ammo supplies were next to none. I’m not even going to start on the atmosphere within the house. Moral was at an all time low, mood swings, petty arguments. Enough was enough we were going to have to leave. And that’s what we were doing today.

‘Are you sure you’re going to be alright traveling darling?’ Norman asked as he sat down on the edge of the bed next to me, placing a hand on my back and another on my belly.

‘Yeah, we all knew we were going to have to sooner or later. We need to go now and find a better place in time from this baby to be born. ‘ He gave me a small smile as he kissed my forehead.

‘I will make sure you’re ok. I promise’

‘I know babe. I love you’

‘I love you too.’ He said as he stood from the bed, offering his hands to pull me up. ‘Even if you are a fatty.’ He winked.

‘It’s a good job I can’t run otherwise you’d be on your ass about now.’ I chuckled. I followed him out of the room, having one last look around before closing the door behind me and waddling down the stairs to where Kenzie and Jensen were. ‘Kenzie, I’ve had enough now. I’m tired just from walking down the stairs. This sucks.’

‘I can imagine, believe me I don’t envy you right now. You both all packed up?’

‘Yeah, all the bags are near the door now.’ Norman answered.

‘I think we should all go in the car. Leave the pick-up behind as we need to save on fuel.’ Jensen said as he stood behind Kenzie, his hand resting on her waist.

‘Makes sense. Although we’re screwed if the car breaks down’ Kenzie said what I was thinking.

‘Hey, don’t say anything about my old girl breaking down, she will get us to wherever we want to go.’ Norman said in the cars defence.

‘I swear you love that car more than me’ I teased. ‘So did you guys decide where we should head to first?’ We had decided to let the guys decide where we were heading.

‘We were thinking of heading towards Sacramento, it’s about a six hour drive’ Jensen told us.

‘But that’s a city. I thought after L.A we were going to keep out of the cities?’ Kenzie asked as she turned to look at him.

‘Yes I know, we are just going to head that way. See if we can find us somewhere to hold up along the way as there are lots of towns on the way there.’ He explained as he took her face in his hands, kissing her gently.

‘Come on then love birds, lets get this band wagon on the roll. I’m starving.’

‘Alright. But you stay in here until we make sure there are no walkers about ok?’ Norman said as he walked over to the front door. I gave him a sarcastic military salute before the three of them left the room. I was really getting annoyed with myself due to the fact that I was unable to help them. I mean I would probably end up getting in the way more than helping. I placed a hand on my belly as I felt the baby move around.

‘Shh in there. I will get you something to eat really soon hun. You’ve just got to bear with your Mom a little here.’ I whispered aloud. I took a final look around the place that had been our home and sanctuary. If this was ever over, it’s the kind of place I would want to live in. Nice and quiet and away from people, well walkers.

I jumped a little as Jensen opened the front door. ‘Come on Rube, time to go.’ He grabbed the last of our bags and I waddled out of the door towards the car, hopping in the back along side Kenzie so that the guys could both sit up front. I rubbed my belly again as the baby kept kicking me.

‘He being feisty?’ Kenzie asked as she placed a hand on my stomach to feel the movements.

‘Mmmhmm, probably can tell that something’s happening.’ I looked to the front of the car to see Norman giving me a small warm smile, one that still made me melt. He turned away and slowly took off down the drive. This was going to be a long journey.

Three hours into travelling we had to stop next to some parked up abandoned cars on the highway, we needed to get some as before much longer so we were going to check each of the cars to see if there was any to syphon off. I climbed out of the car and turned to Norman. ‘Before you say anything I’m fine, I will keep close to the car and if anything happens I will get straight back in.’ this was our new routine for whenever we went out on supply runs. He nodded and headed off towards the cars in front with Jensen and Kenzie.

I wondered over to a car that was on the left side of the road, it was packed up pretty full in the back, so it was worth an investigation. I looked through the windows before opening the doors, just to make sure it was empty, which it was. I opened the door and started to pull out a few bags. One was a holdall full of canned food, and another was full of bottled water. I grinned wildly as I snapped open a lid to one of the bottles and took a long swig. Water never tasted so good. There was also a few packets of biscuits laying on the rear seats, so I bent in to grabbed them as well, putting them in one of the holdalls.

‘Ruby, get the hell to the car now! We have got to go!’ Kenzie yelled as I stood up and looked over to the three of them running back to the car. Jensen and Kenzie were both carrying fuel cans. Norman ran over to me, grabbed the two holdalls from my hands and hurried me over to the car.

‘What the hell what’s going on?’ No one answered me. Norman turned the ignition on and put his foot down and began to turn around just as a large herd of walkers came through the parked up cars.

‘There must have been a few hundred of them, I’ve never seen so many’ Kenzie panted as she tried to catch her breath. I handed her a bottle of water from the bag, and also one for Norman and Jensen.

‘We just need to turn around there is another route off a road further back. There is no way we are getting through them’

The radio in car began to crackle, a male voice came through, but kept breaking up. ‘Shit, Jensen try changing the station’ Kenzie urged as we both sat forwards on our seats. Jensen fiddled with a few buttons.

‘We have a settlement, free of infected. We offer food, water and homes. Guarded by military personnel at all times. Again out located is just North East of Seattle.’ The man then proceeded to give a detailed description of the location. Jensen quickly dug around under his seat pulling out a map.

‘It’s a good few days drive, but it’s not impossible.’ I looked to Kenzie as she embraced me in a hug smiling.

‘There are people alive.’ I said shocked. I mean I didn’t expect it to just be us four that survived but to hear the news of the settlement was amazing. ‘I mean it could be an old message but who the hell cares, this is our hope.’