Chapter Four: Energy Flows Within

Kotaro slowly opened his eyes. The room he was in, everything was completely dark. His eyes set on the light above him. The light was the hole that he and the rest fell right into. He let a shockingly scream, realizing he fell into a trap Joe had set up. Neither Noel, Kyūryu, nor Ranai responded. He was alone. Kotaro quickly rose from the ground, remembering what happened to him a few minutes ago. He tried looking around, making sure everyone was completely fine. "Hello? Anyone there?" Kotaro called. His voice echoed across the dark room, constantly leaving out the same repeated words.

He waited for a moment, waiting to hear a response from the others. Unfortunately, Kotaro didn't receive any response. He decided to explore around the dark room. With the room so dark, Kotaro had trouble with seeing through the darkness. At times, he ended up bumping his head on the wall. No one still hadn't replied back to Kotaro. He placed his hand on the walls.

Suddenly, Kotaro felt an object. It was more of a lever or a switch. He turned on the switch. Kotaro could see the dark room lit with lights. He was finally able to see the darkness with the lights scattered around the room. Ahead of him, Kotaro saw a stairway, mysteriously leading him to somewhere else. Curious, he walked towards the stairs. As Kotaro continued climbing down the steps, a speck of light gleamed ahead of him. With precaution, Kotaro took his time walking down the stairs.

Easily falling down to Joe's trap, Kotaro suspected Joe might have more traps up his sleeves. Slowly climbing down the stairs, Kotaro hears weapons clashing upon each other. Grunting noises were heard across the stairway and straight through that speck of light. He rushed

to see what was happening. Kotaro rushed through the bright light. In the white light, he saw Ranai fighting some kind of human-shaped creature. Ranai was fighting all by himself, easily able to defend himself from the creature. Kotaro was glad to find Ranai, but unfortunately, Ranai wasn't with Noel and Kyūryu. He decided to assist Ranai, already drawing out the Runeblade. He charged to the creature while it was focused killing Ranai. Kotaro slashed the creature's back, leaving a blade mark on it's back.

The creature turned around. Kotaro fell right on his back, frightened by the menacing look of the creature. The length of the nose was shaped as a witch, attached with three nose rings. The creature had two fangs coming out from the lower mouth, with bright, glowing red eyes. Kotaro recognized those looks before. Staring into red eyes of the creature, he recalled the time when he was attacked by a youkai. The creature raised its right arm, holding a giant club.

While the creature was distracted, Ranai took the chance to strike the creature. He jumped on top of the creature's head. The creature began struggling, moving all over the places. Ranai then sliced the creature's head with his kunai. The creature continued to struggle from the excruciating pain.

Kotaro watched Ranai slowly killing the creature by cutting its head. Watching Ranai taking down the creature, Kotaro recalled the time Maya took down the youkai. He shook his head for a moment. That's right! I can't be scared anymore! I must fight on my own, Kotaro thought. He picked up his Runeblade. Loudly hollering as he raced to the creature, Kotaro sliced the creature in two. Slaying the creature, Kotaro celebrated for the first time.

Seeing Kotaro celebrating, Ranai smiled. "You said you were weak," Ranai started. Kotaro stopped celebrating. He noticed the sad look Ranai had. It was rare. "I used to be exactly as you, weak and useless."

Kotaro felt empathy for Ranai. They both experienced the same. Ranai swayed his arms forward, and his face becoming uglier. "That is why I told you not to give up! I believe you are stronger than you truly are right now!" Ranai confessed, "yes... maybe that's why I wished to serve you." He smiled brightly, maintaining his happiness. "Because I am your pillar that'll help you climb to the highest peak of the world!"