Chapter Three: Dreams Disappearing

The school bell rang, indicating the beginning of class. Kotaro and Rocky took separate ways to their classes. Kotaro's teacher, Mr. Willcocks, taught his students American history. Kotaro didn't pay much attention in Mr. Willcocks' class. Mostly, he would stare out the window, or probably staring at the love of his dreams, Mimi Yukihara. Due to her father's work, she'd moved to America. Her reputation had quickly grown.

To Kotaro, Mimi was everything. She was his idol, and when staring at her, he reminded himself to never give up. A pencil smacked Kotaro's head. "Kotaro! Pay attention in class!" Mr. Willcocks yelled.

There was only one problem. He only had her in one of his classes, and that was history. He hated history for one thing - it was because of Mr. Willcocks, whose full name was Chad Willcocks. Chad earned his angry attitude from his dad, Dan Willcocks. He would always argue with his dad, and nobody knew why. Feared by teachers and even the principal, and with the majority of students fearing him, Mr. Willcocks earned the nickname, the Lightning Beast. No one should anger the Lightning Beast, or they'll face the consequences. Kotaro was one of the prime examples of the Lightning Beast's prey.

"Kotaro, you're going to pay attention while holding on these buckets of water in your hand!" The one reason why Kotaro hated Mr. Willcocks was because he always yelled at him for no reason. Regardless, when he did pay attention, Mr. Willcocks still barked at Kotaro for no real reason. Sometimes, he would make up some nonsense excuse just to yell at Kotaro.

Holding onto the buckets for too long, his arms began to die on him. Water slowly poured onto the floors, and Mr. Willcocks' face turned ugly. Luckily, Mimi always defended him. He liked her whenever she defended him. The foreigner was heavily known in the entire building. She even tried becoming student council. Unfortunately, she lost. Someone, even more popular than Mimi, happened to take the spot of the student council. Regardless, his love for Mimi never died out. The flames of love continued to burn.

"Now, don't blame Kotaro. He's just clumsy that's all. Mr. Willcocks, you shouldn't make people like Kotaro get in trouble just because he wasn't listening. You have to give him another chance," Mimi defended. His eyes locked onto Mimi. Then he returned to reality.

Kotaro taunted Mr. Willcocks by sticking his tongue out while behind Mimi. Mr. Willcocks clenched his fist. His face became steamy, scolding Kotaro. "Fine, I'll give him another chance, but he doesn't pay attention in class next time, and he's going to be suspended!" Mr. Willcocks agreed.

Kotaro sighed happily. Oh, thank you, Mimi. I bet you just wanted to save me because you love me, Kotaro assumed. Kotaro wanted to thank her, so he did. "Thank you for defend-,"

"Now don't do that again! If that happens again, I'm not going to help you that time. You're on your own! Jeez, when will you learn to pay attention, you're always like this in class." Mimi interrupted. "How many days does this happen? It's been four months and you never pay attention in Mr. Willcocks' class."

Kotaro frowned. He inclined his upper body to Mimi. "I'm sorry, I won't do it again!" he apologized.

"Say it to Mr. Willcocks, not me," Mimi suggested. Kotaro went and apologized to Mr. Willcocks instead. Mr. Willcocks grabbed him by the collar.

Eyebrows narrowed, face turned sinister, and a dark aura formed around Mr. Willcocks like flames burning a pile of logs. "Of course you won't do it again, will you?" Mr. Willcocks said, his teeth grinding together. The teacher tried concealing his anger after being taunted. Kotaro nodded his head rapidly. The senior quivered from the intimidation.

Kotaro returned to his desk. For once, he started to pay attention in class. He didn't want to get suspended just for not paying attention. See, no big deal, Kotaro thought. For some reason, Kotaro felt an odd, ominous wind. It ran down his spine then spread everywhere else. Shivering, Kotaro wondered about this icy wind.