Prologue

Prologue

"OhmyGod! I can't believe I'm getting married!" Hollis yelled. I winced, her voice definitely reached an all new octave that I was sure only dogs could hear.

I rolled my eyes not believing an ounce of it myself.

Hollis had to be the most annoying, superficial, self-inflicted, person I had ever met in my entire life. Yet she still finds someone that loves her- even for her faults, which are complied in a huge mound of rubbish.

I blew condensation on the window in front of me, wishing and hoping to get out of this limo as fast as I could. The last thing I wanted was to be around a bride-to-be who was a little too hung up on the cherry vodka.

We were in the back of a limo and my sister Caroline handed her another glass of Bacardi- chanting for her to chug the devil juices.

"Do you want a sip Elspeth?" Caroline asked me and then doubled over in laughter that I had no intention of joining.

"No-"

"Come on, get a little loose!" Morgan pleaded and then shoved a beer bottle in my hand.

I gagged at the smell of the substance and place it on the bar, careful not to spill any on my light blue summer dress. "I'm fine-"

"Are you going to sleep with the best man?!" Gretchen yelled out at me. She was just as wasted as they rest of them, while I was just sitting there, tired of their silly antics and the belligerent obscenities that they were yelling out.

And sleeping with the best man happened to be one of them, "I'm only 18."

"So?" Gretchen giggled and the others laughed with her.

I indulged myself in another eye roll.

"You know there's a rule right?" Morgan pressed.

"What rule?" My eyes bugged out but I couldn't help it, I did that when I was annoyed and right now I was feeling my annoyance peak.

"Well the rule that all of the bridesmaids have to sleep with the best man!" Caroline chipped in, flailing her arms around in the process. Her right hand made contact with the window and she recoiled in pain.

"What kind of rule is that?" I scoffed.

"The rule." Morgan smiled taking a huge gulp of Cherry Vodka

"Idiot." I muttered under my breath.

When they get alcohol poisoning, I'm not going to be rushing to their deathbed, I'll be the one shouting from the grave, "I told you so!"

The car stopped and all of the girls cheered. I was more excited to make my escape. Traveling to this estate had to the most horrid hours of my life. I couldn't think of any other moments that have brought me such torture.

I got out of the car and the rest of the girls followed suit. "So this is the mansion?" Morgan questioned.

"No it's a playpen." Gretchen snorted.

"Well it can be both." Morgan replied wiggling her eyebrows, but since she was so intoxicated her eyes moved along with them causing her to look like she was having an epileptic seizure.

I headed towards the brick covered mansion, not too impressed. There were large glass windows on almost every wall, giving you prominent views into the house, that I didn't find too safe, but hey who am I to judge?

There was a cobblestone pathway leading to a round of steps that guided you to the door. The whole entryway was a little too extensive and prestigious for my taste, but this was where my cousin wanted to get married. And here I was, stuck being one her bridesmaids in this stupid wedding that I'd rather die than be a part of.

I knew that Hollis wasn't really in love with Richard, if anything, he was more in love with her than she will ever be with him. But she was brought up to never fully love a man- to have them love you more than you could him. It was just the way of things in her eyes.

"Let's go check out the inside!" Hollis cheered and stumbled as she headed for the front door, having to walk down the long cobblestone path before even reaching the stairs that she clumsily climbed while the rest of them laughed at her.

I headed in after them and examined myself in the windows as I walked towards the front door. My hair was down and pulled back by a white headband, my dress was a light blue summer dress with a pleated skirt and a white ribbon under the bust. It was strapless and fit me like a glove, but an appropriate one.

My amber eyes stood out the most behind my black hair and I couldn't help but grimace at how they clashed with the color of my dress-

"Well hello there!" I heard a voice yell at me.

I turned only to widen my eyes in shock. Well hello! Just standing a couple of steps away from me was a very- no an extremely good-looking guy. He had chestnut hair that was slicked away from his face, bright brown eyes and sculpted features that made him resemble a graphite statue. A very good-looking graphite statue. He had his hands stuck in his pocket and cocked his head to the side as he turned to look at me. I assessed his clothing, finding that he looked really good in a tux.

Not surprising.

"Hi," I said softly and could feel my cheeks starting to turn red.

He smiled, "Let me introduce myself, I'm Barclay Batson- the best man." He took a step closer to me and leaned down to whisper in my ear, "And I believe that we have a tradition to uphold."