Hunting Up a Birthday Surprise

Start from the beginning

"Well you came to the right place sugar. Now tell me what you want." Looking at all the choices, you picked out a simple chocolate cake with chocolate frosting. You weren't sure what type of cake he would like, but who doesn't like chocolate. The lady boxed it up, and you took your two items back to the motel room. Placing them on the counter, you made another trip, this time stopping at the store, grabbing any birthday decorations you could find.

Back in the room once again, you turned the radio on, knowing you only had an hour or two before they returned, and you wanted everything to be perfect. You hung banners throughout the room, tying balloons to the bed posts. It was as festive as you could make it, and you hoped he didn't consider it too cheesy.

With only half an hour until they returned, you ordered pizza, and then waited nervously, sitting on the bed. When you heard the key in the door, you stood up. Dean was the first one to enter, and his smile grew huge as he took in the decorations. Giving you a silent thumbs up, he stood to the side, letting Sam into the room.

As soon as you saw your tall, hunter enter the room, you blurted out "Happy Birthday as loud as you could. He glanced around the room, shocked at first, but then a hesitant smile lit up his face as he brushed his hair back.

"You did all of this, for me?" He asked you, coming farther into the room, turning in a circle, noticing the balloons and other decorations.

You nodded. "Of course. Everyone deserves to celebrate their birthday. I'm just sorry it's not more."

He strode forward, pulling you into his arms, pressing his lips fervently to yours. You clung to the collar of his flannel shirt, lost in the sensation of his lips against yours. Hearing the knock on the door, he stepped back, a sheepish look on his face. "Sorry, I couldn't help myself. I just can't believe you did this all, for me."

Dean, during that time had opened the door, his smile huge as he saw the pizza guy. "Heck yeah, pizza!" He exclaimed, grabbing the boxes.

The three of you sat cross legged on the beds, munching contentedly on pizza, music humming softly in the background. Finishing your slice, you hopped off of the bed, rushing to grab your newspaper wrapped gift. Feeling a little foolish at the present, you handed it over to him, your gaze on your feet.

"What's this?" He asked, holding the present out in front of him.

"No birthday is complete without presents. I hope you like it. If you don't, we can return it, get something else." You stuttered, stopping when you felt his hand on yours.

"Y/N, whatever it is, I will love it." He said, pulling you down so you were once again sitting next to him. Wiping his hands on a napkin, he gently unwrapped the present, gasping when he saw the book.

"Where did you find this? It's a first edition!" He exclaimed, his movements gentle as he opened the book up, tracing the title with his fingertips.

"There's a really cool bookstore downtown. I hope you like it." You told him, but by the way his face lit up, you could tell he did.

"Are you kidding me, I love it!" He exclaimed, wrapping his arm around you, pulling you tight to him in a hug. The two of you stayed that way, Sam using his free arm to flip through the book, and you sat there contentedly, happy to just be with him.

Dean was just finishing the last of the pizza. "Thanks for ordering pizza. It was perfect."

You sat up then, remembering the cake. "Wait, there's more!" You told them, rushing up to the cupboard where you had hidden the cake. Pulling it out, you showed them, giggling slightly at Dean's offended look.

"Cake?" He said disgustedly.

"Cakes are for birthdays." You insisted. Skipping the singing, you cut off three slices, sitting down next to Sam once again.

The three of you enjoyed your cake in silent, Dean eating his quickly despite his earlier complaining. After he was done, he stood up, patting his belly. "Well, even though I'm full, I could go for a glass of whiskey. You two need anything?"

Shaking your head no, you watched as Dean walked out the door. During that time Sam had taken the opportunity to lean back against the headboard, his long legs stretched out in front of him. Grasping your hand, he pulled you next to him, until you were stretched out alongside him, your head resting on his chest. He ran his hand up and down your arm, and the two of you stayed that way, content to sit quietly in each other's arms.

"Y/N." Sam started, and you tilted your head up, your e/c meeting his hazel ones. "Thank you so much. This is the best birthday I've ever had."

You just shrugged, uncomfortable with the compliment.

"Truly, thank you. I love you so much." He told you, and you froze. It was the first time either of you had mentioned the L word, and you wondered if he truly meant it.

"Really?" You whispered, afraid to mess the moment up.

He nodded, his eyes shining with love. "It's true, and I'm sorry it's taken me so long to admit it."

You sighed, content at the way the day had turned out. "I love you too." You told him, drawing designs along his chest.

"And that is the best birthday present I could ask for." He told you, tilting your head up and capturing your lips in his own.