Chapter 69

Marcus' eyes glistened with the exact malice that his grin showed. He raised the knife; the silver tip reflected the faint rays of sunlight that invaded through the doorway. You were certain that in less than a second, your head would fall back at full force as blood began gushing out from your silted throat. The image was both horrifying and if not a bit traumatizing as well.

Your eyes immediately fell shut when his arm swung down. You waited for the dreadful pain, the unbearable pain, the pain of momentary suffering then complete death. But... it never came. And instead, you heard a female voice came from nearby. You flicked your eyes opened and you saw familiar blond locks of hair... Astrid.

"I wouldn't move if I were you," she warned Marcus. She had a sword pointed straight to Marcus' back. "Not. Even. A. Single. Muscle."

You noticed Marcus shuddered, just slightly before he laughed. But you could easily tell that he was shaken from Astrid's threat. "You think you could kill me, little girl? You're pathetic, weak! You can't kill me!"

It happened so fast, like a blink of an eye, like a flash of lightning. You'd always known Astrid was a great fighter, but you, you didn't know you had reflexes like that.

Astrid had kicked Marcus, making him fall forward and towards you. But just before he could even lay a finger on you, you quickly moved your knees up, forcefully connecting them to Marcus' stomach and pushing him backwards like a swinging pendulum. Arms grabbed him, saving him from hitting against the hard, wooden floorboards of the ship. Arms around his neck to be precise. Astrid now had Marcus in a headlock, the sword that she had earlier was now gripped tightly in one of her hands and was dangerously close to Marcus' face.

She leaned down, so her mouth was leveled to his ear and hissed harshly, "You're right, I can't kill you. But it's not because I'm weak," Marcus choked and gagged a little as Astrid's hold around his neck tightened as she emphasized the last word. "It's because I'm not the one who's supposed to kill you."

You thought she would've let Marcus go after that, but instead, you released her arms from his neck and one of them found their way to the back of his shirt and turned him towards the direction of one of the walls of the room and bashed his head against it, repeatedly.

Marcus' motionless body fell to the floor once Astrid's hand left his shirt and returned to her side. Her blazing gaze then turned to us, and the disgust and hatred that filled her eyes vanished instantly. "C'mon," she said and took a step to me and swung her sword down on the chains that bounded you. The metal broke with a loud 'cling' and she moved on to Jack's.

You rubbed your wrists as you got up from the chair; there're red marks that were stamped deeply into your skin but you assumed that they'll fade eventually. "Is he dead...?" you asked Astrid as she sliced free Jack's chains.

"No," she simply shook her head; her mouth was in a thin line. That's never good. "He's just unconscious; he should be out of our way for an hour or two. But that's it."

I nodded slowly. There was one question that you were curious of the answer. "What did you mean when you told Marcus that 'you weren't the one who's supposed to kill him'?"

Astrid's expression was impassive, so it surprised you that she could keep such a calm face when she blurted out the reason, "Hiccup's back."