Chapter 63

You placed three soft knocks on the door before grabbing the handle and pushing it open. Your right foot took a step into the dimly lit room and then the rest of you.

"Hello?" you called out as you shut the door quietly behind you, trying not to disturb anyone, it was quite late at night, everyone else in Berk must be asleep by now... everyone else except for the chief. "Hiccup?" you moved further into the room; it was small, and kind of messy to be honest.

You heard mumbling and jerked your head towards the sound, there, just a few feet away from you, Hiccup sat on a wooden bench as he seemed to be drawing something on a rather large piece of paper. "Hiccup?" you repeated once more, and this time, he turned to look at you.

"(Y/N)..." your name left his lips as a gentle whisper; his face looked tired, dark circles under his eyes from the lack of sleep, his shaggy hair even messier than usual and a light trace of stubble which meant he hadn't shaved for a few days... but he still looks gorgeous nonetheless.

You opened your mouth, prepared to respond with an inquiry but Hiccup got up and surprised you with a hug before you could ever mutter a word. Luckily, you recovered quickly and wrapped your own arms around him, pulling him close. You haven't felt his touch since Baron's funeral where you both comforted each other with similar hugs.

He then broke away and stared into your eyes, a small smile playing on his lips. "You're awake..." he trailed off. "Are you feeling any different? Better? Healed? Did the cure worked?" his brows furrowed with worry and you gave him a confirmative nod with a reassuring smile. "Yes, it worked."

Hiccup let out a sigh of relief and you noticed his shoulders slumped vaguely; he must've been tensed with all that's going on right now. But you couldn't blame him, what he's going through, is so much worse than anything that you've ever gone through. "Hey, I'm sorry about everything with Marcus and all."

"It's not your fault," Hiccup breathed. "And I kind of knew that this was going to happen eventually, everything always leads to war nowadays; it's depressing."

"Yea, well, too bad you can't change history." You murmured.

He gave a light huff. "Too bad, huh?"

"I-I'm sorry, you must be tensed as it is, I shouldn't have intrude," you stammered. "I... I'll just leave you to... to do whatever you were going to do. Sorry to disturb you." You then made your way back towards the door, feeling slightly ashamed and embarrassed. But you felt an abrupt tug on your arm and in a blink of an eye, you were spun around and back into Hiccup's arms.

And before you could question the reasons to his actions, his lips were pressed onto yours. His soft, warm lips... The sweet, familiar sensation coursed through your veins, and your heart seemed to quicken twice its beating. Hiccup had one arm around your waist, holding you extremely close to him and the other under your chin; his gentle fingers grazed the skin under your chin as he held it up so he could deepen the kiss even more.

The heat of the kiss, the heat of his body... was enough to melt you into warm puddles. Your head began to spin from the external euphoria but surprisingly your feet still reserved their balance, but not for long...

Hiccup seemed to have read your mind and decided to haul you into his arms and over to the edge of his bed that was placed just a short distance from the two of you. Soon, your back was laid on the sheets of his blankets on his mattress and Hiccup had stopped kissing you and was now propped up on his elbow beside you. His emerald green eyes were now fixed on yours, a lazy smile plastered on his face as he stared contently down at you as though you were a prized trophy that he'd won.

The thought of his eyes so focused on you made you squirm a bit due to discomfort. Not really because you weren't attracted to him, god, you were really attracted to him that it's not even funny! But it's more that it's your own insecurity that makes you uncomfortable under Hiccup's steady gaze.

"Hey," Hiccup smiled down at you as his hand played with yours, fumbling with your fingers. "What are you thinking about?"

"What's it to you?" you teased playfully and his smile grew.

"I just want to know if you're thinking about me."

"Well, I am," you admitted, grinning. "I'm thinking about your stubble." You reached a hand up to touch the tip of his chin and it felt prickly.

He groaned lightly. "I'm sorry, I haven't shaved for a few days now, I was too busy rearranging Baron's funeral and then you took the cure and Marcus' message and..." he sighed, shaking his head.

You leaned up and placed a sweet kiss on his lips, "I was going to say I think it's cute," you reassured him and his smile returned. "But you should really shave it soon, I don't think Marcus is going to find you cute like I do."

Hiccup chuckled. "Yea, I don't either."

You rested your head back down on the mattress. "(Y/N)," Hiccup murmured. "Did you really love Baron?"

That caught your attention, your eyes were now wide and were staring straight up at him, but he didn't looked even the least offended by your expression. You hesitated. "Yea... I think so..."

"That's what I thought," Hiccup breathed, but he doesn't seem to be upset about it.

Then it was complete silence, the awkward kind that no one wants to have in a situation. You wanted to break it, to say something, anything, but, every time you tried, no words left your mouth. It felt as though your voice had been lost from you and you couldn't get it back no matter how hard you try.

"Look," Hiccup said which stunned you. "I know I'm not Baron, and I can't be him," his voice showed faint signs of hurt and something like... heartache. "But I want you to know that I will always, always be there for you no matter what," he gulped. "A-and even after all of this is over, and you don't choose me... If I'm not the one, I'll still stand by your side because that's all I'll ever do. I'm your friend, and no matter what you put me as on your list, I am your friend on mine."

"So, is that the truth? Am I only your friend...? You blurted out without thinking, and quickly regretted it. Hiccup didn't need a question or accusation like this, especially not at this time!

Hiccup went quiet for a moment before finally answering, "To say 'yes' to your question would be a lie, because, honestly, (Y/N), I love you." His breathing had become ragged and so was yours. "I love you so much," he leans down and his nose brushed against yours. "That it hurts my very being. So that's the truth."

You thought you'd stopped breathing until Hiccup kissed softly on your lips, sending the air that you'd intake into your lungs flow out. "It's late, you should go to sleep," he whispered and placed two light kisses on each of your eyelids when you'd shut your eyes.

"Goodnight, (Y/N), I love you." Were the last words you heard before you fell into a deeply needed sleep.