Chapter 59

Wind blew your hair back as you ran forward. You teary eyes never leaving the grinning brunet that stood under the tree; it all doesn't seem real, like it's a dream... A dream you haven't gotten in such a long time...

"Baron!" you gasped as you rushed into the brunet's arms. He immediately hugged you back, his strong, familiar arms holding onto you as though you were his lifeline. "Baron..." you breathed into his shoulder.

His body felt vaguely cooler than the last time you'd held him... but it's still him nonetheless. And you couldn't help but cry out tears of pure happiness.

"Lookie who I found wandering around the woods this morning," Jack beckoned over to Baron when the two of you broke away, but just a little as your hands still rested on his shoulders. Baron glanced at Jack with a soft smile before returning his attention back onto you.

"Oh my god," you gasped, but you could feel a wide grin splitting your face. "W-what are you doing here?"

Baron smiled, his shinny, sincere emerald orbs staring down at you. "Well, I couldn't miss my own funeral, now could I?"
Instead of replying, you pulled him into another hug, burying your face into the side of his neck, taking in his sweet, familiar scent; everything about him was familiar, and you've been begging for that exact familiarity for days. You missed him, more than you could ever comprehend.

"Oh god, I've missed you so much that you have no idea!" you spoke into his neck.

He gripped your body closer to his and you could feel the slight heat of his body radiating onto yours; your knees unbuckled at the sweet, comforting warmth. "I missed you too, sweetheart."

You could practically feel him smirking against your neck, you beamed. "You're calling me 'sweetheart' again. I thought you don't call me that anymore."

"I'll never stop calling you that; I told you, I like that nickname." He murmured.

You sucked in a breath, why is it suddenly so hard to take in air? You parted your lips, about to mutter a response but Jack interrupted, "Um, I- I'm just going to go... I think Hiccup might need some help... with something..." And within seconds, he's gone.

You moved back from Baron and grinned, "I can't believe you're really here... Does that mean that you're going to sta-"

But Baron shook his head before you could finish, he knew you were going to ask this question... and your heart sunk at his headshake. "Wh-what? Why?"

"I just can't, sweetheart," he whispered, reaching his hand up to brush away a strand of your hair and tucked it behind your ear, like he used to.

"The only reason that I came back here, is to say goodbye, an actual one, not like the one we had last time."

"Wh-what...?" your voice became low, so low that you didn't think he could even hear. But he did, though he didn't speak. "Y-you... you can't leave me! Not again! No, Baron! You can't do this to me again!" you nearly shouted, tears were threatening to spill from your eyes. "I w-won't let you!"

"(Y/N)," Baron sighed, his eyes looked as gentle as the light waves flooding onto seashores on a bright, sunny day. "I love you..."

"Then stay!" you continued, not giving up. Both your hands grasped his wrist. "If you s-say you love m-me, i-if you really l-love me, then st-stay... d-don't leave me, don't let me g-go."

His soft fingers trailed down your cheek down to your chin and lifted it up slightly, making you meet his gaze directly. "You know what they say, if you love something, you have to set it free."

You shut your eyes, letting the tears that filled your eyes stream down, and shook your head thoroughly. "Can you be any more cliché right now?" you joked, trying to make out a laugh but it came out sounding more like a strained groan. You cringed.

Baron smiled. "What can I say? I like my clichés." You stifled back a smile of your own before looking back up at him with a frown. "Listen, (Y/N), I really do love you, more than the stars love the moon, more than the shores love the sea. I am madly, deeply and undeniably in love with you. But you have to understand why I have to go," he murmured, his face now only inches from yours. You hadn't realized he'd lean so close to you. "You have a choice to make," his mesmerizing green eyes dart over to where Jack and Hiccup stood for just a moment before focusing them on you.

"But... I-I lo-lov..." you tried to mumble; you've never felt so tongue-tied in your life.

"I know you do," Baron murmured, he has cut off even more distance between the two of you; his lips now brushing against yours. "But I'm not the one who you're supposed to end up with, I've died, this is my fate and I've accepted it."

"B-but..." you trailed off, the rivers of tears strolling down your cheeks and the hard lump in your throat made it almost impossible for you to speak or even make out a thought.

"Please, (Y/N), don't make this harder than it has to be," he murmured, his breath hitting your lips, causing shivers to spread down your spine. "I don't want to see you suffer again; it pained me so much to watch you so hurt in the forest, I thought I could really die again of heartache."

"Please d-don't make jo-jokes right now..." you whimpered.

His thumb wiped away some of the tears that soaked your face. "Okay, I won't."

"J-just tell me o-one thing... I-I just need to k-know one thi-thing," you stammered. "Are you g-going to be a-alright...?"

Baron's lips tugged up vaguely at your inquire. "Yes, I am. Because I've found peace."

You stared up at him with stunned eyes. "W-what...?"

"I've finally found peace, (Y/N), and it's all thanks to you." He smiled. "You've given me a reason to let go of all the guilt and I can't thank you enough."

You actually... smiled. "Really?"

He nodded and leaned to place a soft, sweet kiss on your forehead. "I love you so much, sweetheart."

"I'll never forget you." You whispered, smiling down at the ground.

"Whoever said that you're allowed to?" he teased and you almost rolled your eyes. "Oh, and please just take the stupid cure already, it took a lot of effort to get it, you know?"

"Fine, I'll take the stupid cure."

"Good."

You grabbed his hand and he intertwined your fingers together. "C'mon, now let's get back to Hiccup and Jack."

He gave you one last nod before the two of you went over to where Jack and Hiccup are; Hiccup seemed surprised and he looked like he was trying not to tear up, even though he couldn't see Baron. It wasn't because he didn't believed in him; it was mostly because Baron was just a regular spirit, not a guardian like Jack or a spirit as powerful as Pitch. But he told him all the things that he wanted to say to him nonetheless, his apologizes and such.

When he was done, the people of Berk moved the ship that contained Baron's body out to sea. And all the four of you watched as burning arrows were shot at it to set the fire. After it was over, the people went back to their homes while you, Hiccup, Jack and Baron stayed for one last goodbye which you pulled into another hug and he gave you a gentle kiss on the hand.

Then, then he went off, heading towards where the sun shone, disappearing into the bright light that vaguely blinded your vision. And... he was gone.