Chapter 41

All you were aware of was the pain ripping through your side. It threatened to engulf you, plunging you back into the darkness from which you came. You heard a loud scream. Desperately, you blocked it out, remembering the feeling of darkness instead... It felt like you were drowning, but not in water. You couldn't swim. You couldn't move. And all around you the thick sludge slowly denied you life. But that wasn't the worse part... The worst part was that you could see light above you. It was so close and so bright but no matter how hard you tried; it just remained out of reach.
'(Y/N)!' The memory was gone. You jerked upright, screaming as an intense pain ripped through you. Immediately you felt yourself pushed back until you were lying on something soft.
Leaves, you thought, curling your fingers into it. Only leaves didn't feel like that. Leaves were thin... this was thick. You could feel something hard beneath the softness... almost like wood.
Your eyes shot open, meeting the dark gaze of Marcus.
'Hello (Y/N).' He grinned manically.

❅ ❀ ❆

'Baron wake up!' Hiccup desperately shook the man.
'W-what?' Baron shook his head groggily, vision swimming as he took in his surroundings. 'Damn it!' He yelled, 'Why does this always happen to me?'
'You weren't the only one.' Hiccup shook his head sadly. He looked over at Toothless, curled up in a ball on the ground. He had treated the dragon, but he hadn't been able to stop the pain.
'I'm sorry.' Baron was unsure what else to say. He watched Hiccup, seeing the flicker of emotion across his eyes. Sadness... pure sadness... and then like that it was gone.
'Is (Y/N) ok?' Baron asked.
'Uhh...' Hiccup looked at the ground nervously. Baron picked up on this, fear growing in the pit of his stomach. God, please don't be her!
'Hiccup?' He asked worriedly.
'She wasn't here when I woke up.' Hiccup whispered, anger and sadness creeping into his voice.
'What!' Baron screamed, voice shaking. 'Where is she!'
'I don't know!' Hiccup yelled back, equally mad. His fists were balled at his sides, shaking.
'Is she with Jack.' Baron asked, voice cracking. His stomach was twisted in fear, overwhelming him and threatening to make him throw up.
'No.' The familiar voice of the winter spirit sounded next to Baron. He looked, seeing Jack perched on a tree looking at his hands. 'She's gone.' He growled in frustration. 'Every time!' He yelled, 'No matter how hard I try I can't protect her!'
'We all tried.' Hiccup said gently.
'But it's different!' Jack yelled, 'We're- we're-'
'Girlfriend and boyfriend?' Hiccup suggested, raising an eyebrow. Jack nodded slowly.
'Oh really?' Hiccup folded his arms across his chest, 'And when did she ever say that to you?'
Jack paused. 'It doesn't matter.' He growled, 'She chose me.'
'She chose us.' Baron grumbled. He didn't like this conversation, mainly out of jealousy and he wasn't afraid to admit it to himself. 'And does it really matter? Can we just focus on saving her ass please!'
Jack and Hiccup glanced at him, both of them slightly red.
'She's going to have to choose eventually.' Hiccup sighed.
'We know.' Jack said bluntly.
'Look... whoever she chooses the others will always be there for her... always.' Baron smiled at the thought, 'But right now she needs us-'
'You want her!' Hiccup exclaimed.
Baron sighed. 'No!' He lied, 'But all a relationship is, is being there for someone when they need you.' The boys all paused, looking at each other intently.
'Fine.' Jack said, 'But she decides as soon as we save her.'