Chapter 60

The pain was just as bad as the first time. The only difference was... this was a happy pain. A pain you would feel for as long as you lived. You would see it in everything that reminded you of Baron. You would feel it in every moment you thought about him. And you didn't mind. What better way was there to remember him?
You watched the sun disappear over the horizon, staring long after everyone else had left. Baron was gone. But a piece of him was with you. It always would be, everywhere you went. In your heart...
You found yourself whispering his name. A single name... And a single tear slid down your cheek and onto your lips. You reached up, remembering the feeling of his lips against yours. So soft... and you would never feel them again.
'(Y/N)?' Hiccup whispered.
'Where's Jack?' You found yourself saying, turning to face the brunette who reminded you so much of Baron. 'Where is he? I need to tell him-'
'(Y/N).' Hiccup croaked, cheeks stained from crying... 'It's ok.' He whispered, more to himself then you as he pulled you into a hug. I need to tell him thank you... You buried your face in the crook of his neck, wrapping your arms around him.
'He knows.' It almost felt like Hiccup could read your thoughts. You let yourself relax, simply letting the comfort of Hiccup help your broken heart.
'We need to leave.' He sighed. You nodded. 'Wait.' You whispered, pulling away from Hiccup. He watched you curiously as you reached into your pocket, drawing the tiny vial.
'Baron told me to take it.' Your hand shook as you held it. You watched it, trying to steady it but you couldn't. Suddenly Hiccup's hand was there, wrapping around it and holding it still. 'He would've wanted that.'
You nodded slowly. 'But I-'
'Did he ask you to?' Hiccup asked.
'Yes.'
'Then please, (Y/N), please just take it for me.' Hiccup almost sounded desperate, 'I can't lose you as well. I-' He almost broke down again but you put your hand on his shoulder, smiling gently.
'Hiccup it's alright.' You whispered, moving his hand off the tiny vial. 'You won't lose me.' He looked hesitant, but eventually complied. You sighed, taking off the lid and looking up at the sky. It was dark but tiny lights lit it up casting a dull glow over everything. The stars... Reminding you that everything was going to be ok. You tried not to think about what you were drinking, instead thinking about Baron as the tiny vial touched your lips.

'Are you alright?' Baron inquired, his face suddenly worried. 'Did Marcus hurt you while I was out?'

You raised the vile into the air, tipping the contents.

'I wish you could love me, the way he loves you.'

The dark liquid flowed into your mouth.

'I would rather want you, and never have you, than to never have thought of the possibility of being with you at all.'

You swallowed.

'I love you, (Y/N),' he whispered, 'I will always love you.'

You breathed deeply.

'I'll never forget you.' You whispered, smiling down at the ground.
'Whoever said you were allowed to?'

'(Y/N)?' Hiccup's voice reached you, pulling you from your memories. You looked up at him, teary-eyed, but weakly, you smiled. You slid the empty vile into your pocket, sighing as you did. You wouldn't see Baron again. In this life... But there was always the next one right? Did you even believe in that stuff?
'How are you feeling?' He asked.
'Great.' You whispered but even as you said it your head started spinning, the world tipping beneath your feet. You must have swayed because Hiccup was there, supporting you. 'Whoa... (Y/N)?' He seemed slightly panicked. You opened your mouth to speak but couldn't find an answer, instead collapsing into his arms. He looked down at you. 'You're ok.' He whispered.

I love you, (Y/N).

And then there was darkness.