24

Taerin

Fuck. two weeks. They're over.

Fuck.

I'm screwed.

So so so screwed.

Right now, its 6:00 am and I only have less that 30 minutes to think of a plan to not go to school and let everyone embarrass the shit out of me.

The first thing that came to my mind was to get a thermometer, place it in hot water and let the temperature rise. It used to work back when I was in 5th grade.

Grabbing my thermometer from my study table I dASI RUN RUN RUN TO MY BATHROOM. look like a desperate ho, I examined my bathroom for a basin to hold the hot water. Opening all the cabinets, I searched for a big ass basin. As I threw and shoved toiletries out of way, I spotted a small dead cockroach.

"Hey, that cockroach does look like mingy- TAERIN OMG WHAT ARE YOU DOING??? NO TIME FOR BULLSHIT. " I blared at myself. I don't know how long I spent searching for a godamn basin because by the time I actually found one, I heard my mother call me from downstairs that I needed to get my ass down.

Twisting the tap handle labelled "hot" , hot water started rushing out of the spout. Checking if the water was real hot, I placed my hand under the running water. I regretted that because I literally jumped back and knocked my toe on the wall. Well, the water IS hot.

Taking my thermometer out,I turned it on then carefully placed it in the basin filled with hot water. The display numbers on the thermometer started increasing slowly. I had to reach a temperature of 37.6°C  in order to be considered sick. Now it only displayed 36.6 °C

"Cmon...cmon...cmon." I watched as the numbers increased slowly. I was hoping and praying that it would reach 37.6°C

36.7°C..

36.8°C..

36.9°C..

...

The number didn't moved up after that. But , I did hear a loud beep coming from the thermometer.

Shit.

"Please tell me you're kidding me." I moaned.

"JUNG TAERIN!!" My mom called again .

"WAIT MOM! "

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN WAIT?! YOUR BREAKFAST IS GETTING COLD LIKE YOUR HEART AND YOURE GONNA BE LATE FOR SCHOOL YOU IDIOT GIRL ."

she's right. I only had less than 30 minutes to make my way to school.

And I'm hopeless in escaping from everyone. I'm hopeless as I had to be in school to watch mingyu get crowned as the flirt of our school. I had to face everyone who called me queen. I had to face jae woo and his bitches. I had to face the whole of starshine high. And I had to face the music.

I'm wretched
And
I'm so fucked.

-

Why bother covering myself up with a hoodie, sunglasses or pretending to be someone else I'm not?

Face it. We all have to face the painful reality either way. And that's about to happen now as i step foot into Starshine High.

But ,what the hell? Why is it so quiet?

Walking around the school , I saw no sign of any other soul besides me and the nice little old lady at the canteen selling fried chicken. who could not resist fried chicken? I know jisoo could not.

Deciding to let chicken heal my heart first before I turn I get fried by burnt chicken, Jae woo, I walked over to the fried chicken stall with a small smile on my face. A little fried chicken won't hurt right?

"Good morning ! " I greeted the nice old lady. She gave me a big smile back
And waved at me. "Oh, hello miss Jung. I see that you've brought your friends along for some fried chicken."

"Wait wu- "

I felt something hard hit my head. Just as I was about to become unconscious, the last sight I saw the scared face the old lady was making and....I blacked out.

-

"Yah! Get her up! Boss will kill you ! "

"I know I know! Just keep your mouth shut."

As i awoken from my 'long slumber ' , I heard some voices around me. As I listened to their conversation for a bit, I completely understood what was happening.

I knew what they were talking about. And there was nothing I could do expect pretend I'm still unconscious.

"Fine then, let me do it. "

Wait, what the flower does the person mean by 'i-

"OW! "

oh. The person meant 'it' by physically kicking my chest to wake me up. OH.

"Look, now she's awake. Jesus Christ, do your jobs properly. " minji scolds the two other guys who were sheepishly looking down at the floor, embarrassed.

Minji squats down in front of me, smirking and twirling her silver hair.

"Hello,jung taerin. Now that you're awake, have a look around the gym. "
Minji emphasised the words 'look' and 'gym'.

And I did. It was a big shock to myself. Everyone, literally, EVERYONE came to the gym to see me being embarrassed and shamed.
From 1st years to 3rd years , from the people I flirt with and the ones I didn't. They were all here with mixed emotions.

Confused, angered, disappointed, delighted, concerned.... There were so many emotions going around in the gym.

And when I looked behind me, I saw the scores leaning against the gym benches for everyone to see. The scores were written hugely and my score was highlighted in red while mingyu's in green with a drawing of a crown on the numbers '85'

67:85....

What a huge difference.

"WHO ARE YOU CALLING QUEEN TAERIN NOW?! " a voice bellows. From behind me, jae woo walks proudly towards me , dragging

"67 : 85! How pathetic ! How PATHETIC that a transferred student beat you to the title , flirt! " jae woo loudly hisses harshly at me for everyone to hear .

He turns away from me and points at the scores, " so, everyone, whose the true flirt of starshine high now?! "

Everyone started to comment about the scores and how I've put out a bad fight against mingyu. There were mostly negative and harsh comments about me.

Everyone agreed to jae woo. Everyone is agreeing. They are agreeing that I'm such a failure at being a flirt. That I didn't deserve this title. That my loss was awfully bad.

I could cry now. I could make a bigger embarrassment out of myself by being a big crybaby. But I was too numb to feel anything. I was too numb to even take in much more criticism.

I'm such a failure at keeping my precious title. I failed everyone. Especially myself.

"AND MAY I PRESENT TO YOU, KIM MINGYU, OUR NEW FL- "

Suddenly , jae woo was interrupted by wonwoo flinging the gym doors open, sweat beading down his forehead and his back hunching . He started taking deep breathes before saying something that triggered all of us.

" HAS ANYONE SEEN MINGYU? "

"What??? " jae woo's eyes widen and he had his mouth agape.

"I can't find him."