Renegade: Chapter Two

Start from the beginning

"Thanks for the motivation, Gerald. It really means a lot to me. I'm very sorry if I got too dramatic," Alexander apologized as he looked at me with his brownish eyes.

"It's alright. We have our dramatic hours sometimes," I said as I rubbed his reddish hair.

I was still in the middle of that "consoling moment" when out of the blue, an old woman stood in front us. Her face was tan and terribly wrinkled. She had a long white hair that seemed to have not been washed for eons. She wore a maroon shirt which was paired with a long black skirt. Not to be rude, but she smelled like a rotten egg! With her agonizing breath, she asked, "Can you help me, boys?"

"Sure... What is it, grandma?" I asked kindly.

"Can you spare a cash for a charitable institution I am in?" She requested with a hoarse voice as she handed a small brown envelope to us. "I know that you two are compassionate persons... I can feel it."

"Oh! I'm flattered... I really am," Alexander smiled widely.

"What is this charitable institution are you talking about, grandma? What do they do?" Alexander asked as he grabbed the envelope and slowly opened it.

"There is a letter inside that envelope that will answer your question, little boy," The lady replied.

As Alexander pulled the paper inside it, he suddenly widened his eyes and had gone perfectly still.

"What is it, Alexander?" I asked curiously.

Alexander looked at me and shouted, "It's a tr--"

A strange invisible force pushed us and roughly, we fell against the cemented grounds. Pain started to overwhelm our bodies as we stood up as fast as possible, but fate was not in our side as another wave of force pushed us again! This time, we bumped against the benches. Yeah, it just added to the whole pain we felt, twice as intense to be exact. All the other people looked at us from a distance, completely confused of the situation. No one even dared to shout or run for their lives.

"Your charitable deaths are enough for me. I can't believe you fell for that," The lady shouted with a slight grin on her face.

Then, she slowly walked towards us and continued with the words, "This has to show how weak your clan is. Therefore, you are all not worthy for the immortality the crystallized heart can give. Death is on your side now. So long, you dirty souls!"

Then, that old but insanely clever woman prepared herself to give us her final blow. I slowly closed my eyes as my heart started to pound so hard, that I could hear it louder this time. Regret started to flow into my veins as I asked myself, Is this how I am supposed to end?

I just started my official mission a few days ago and there I was, about to be killed by an elder. I breathed heavily as I grabbed the last air that I would ever have and waited for fate to finish me entirely. Hope was obviously not in our side this time.

Come on, woman... I am ready, I said inside my mind as I got ready for that woman's final blow.

Suddenly, I heard footsteps got louder and louder. Then, after a few seconds, a zap of electricity overwhelmed my ears... Surprisingly, I was not the one hit by that electric fury.

As I opened my eyes, the first thing that had caught my attention was Kate. With courage and pride, she relentlessly electrocuted the woman. Then, after a few seconds, the lady immediately flopped towards the ground, instantly lifeless.

"Shut up, you old lady! You are such a pest," Kate said as she stood in front her body.

"She really almost got us with her charity stuff. She is already old, but her strength remains to be feisty," I smirked as I stood up and grabbed the silver briefcase.