Ch.35- Not so new girl, don't push yourself

*Kagome's POV*

"I believe that will be covering everything." Officer James informed me as he stood up from a kitchen chair while gathering his notes that he had written throughout his discussion with me. "You should be proud of yourself. You're one of the few that have reported Naraku."

A small smile without any happiness twisted my lips upwards uneasily. My eyes casted themselves to the floor underneath my feet as I stood up. "T-thank you, sir. It wasn't very easy."

He nodded his head in understanding. "Thank you for this report. There will be a court session located on South Broad Street. You and your mother must attend this meeting tomorrow."

My eyes slowly raised themselves to his. "Very well then. Would you mind telling us what time this will be taking place?"

"Not at all." He quickly flipped through many of the papers he was holding before coming to a pause. He continued slowly turning them before stopping completely. His eyes scanned the paper briefly.

"4 o'clock." He informed me.

"We'll be there."

"Once again, Ms.Kagome," Officer James took a step closer to me with a raised hand to shake my hand and bid farewell, "Thank you for your time."

"It wasn't a problem." I replied steadily as I took a hold of his large hand.

Without a delay, he departed and walked out our front door after grabbing his tan trench coat. I watched him silently in the window walk to his black car before driving down the street and around the corner, where I could no longer see him.

"How did it go?"

The sudden voice made me jump, sending my heart beating wildly. My hand had instantly grabbed at my chest in shock.

My mom seated herself onto our brown couch and waited for me to come sit by her. I quickly crossed the dining room and into the living room. I heavily plopped besides her and rubbed at my eyes.

"It went well. We have a court meeting tomorrow at 4 o'clock on South Broad Street." I replayed Officer James words as they rang through my head.

"I have to work 8 a.m to 3 p.m. tomorrow. I'll swing by and pick you up after I finish working."

"Alright, no problem." I replied.

A long lapse of silence lingered between us as our thoughts occupied ourselves. My eyes unfocused as my mind shifted to the incidence with Naraku.

The way he had touched me,

the way he had spoke to me,

the way he had treated me,

made me feel so disgusted and forced a uncomfortable shiver down my spine.

"-until I work?"

"Huh?" I turned my head towards my mom in confusion. I was so lost and deep in thought, I had no idea what she had just asked me.

My mom sent me a concerned look with a patient smile, but she retold her words again.

"What do you want to do until I work?"

I shrugged helplessly. "I don't know, maybe we coul-" My voice cut off as a sudden question burned inside my brain.

"What day is it?"

"It's Thursday." She answered. "Why?"

"Oh, gosh." I mumbled. "I'm going to have so much homework to make up."

"You're not going to school tomorrow, young lady." My mom sternly ordered.

I gasped as I could already feel the guilt of skipping school. "What?! Mom!"

"No buts." My mouth opened to object, but she cut me off with a firm, strong, "No".

"Fine." I whined as I sunk farther into our fluffy couch.

"You need to rest for a couple of days before you even think about school." My mom said.

I signed, knowing that she was fully right. I analyzed her features.

"How have you been, mom?" I questioned her tired look and unhealthy skin.

"Better now that you're here." She smiled at me and took my hand. She gave it a squeeze, to which I squeezed back.

"You know," She started, "you never told me you and InuYasha were an item."

I released her hand in surprise at her choice of words. "We are not an item!"

"Anyways," She said, urging me on.

"We've only been dating for about 2 weeks. It was right before Naraku had..had kidnapped me."

"Oh." She mumbled quietly. "Well, it seems that you guys are already onto the smooching stage."

"Mom!" I yelped, covering my ears. 

"Stop being so childish, Kagome!" She laughed, trying to pry my hands away from my ears.

"La,la,la,la!" I screamed. After a moment of playfully bickering, I released my ears.

Another moment of silence had captured us. I twisted a wet lock of hair around a finger and continuously twirled it in an awkward manner.

"Back to my questioned, what do you want to do for another 2 hours before I have to go to work?"

"2 hours? That much time has passed already?" Surprise etched my features brightly as I glanced at the clock. It was indeed 2 hours before my mom went to work.

"We could cook a late lunch and dinner for later on tonight." My mom suggested hopefully.

"Sounds great; I haven't eaten anything yet."

Oops! Well, it's been a little more than a month, but I updated, finally! It's kinda late in the evening so I'm not sure how many of you will read it, but at least I updated today. I hope everyone is/did enjoy their Spring Break! I know I loved mine. I wish we could have more time off school ;c Anyways! See you again in a month, ~AA 

Update: Wow, I can't believe it was Spring Break when I made this chapter. That was all the way back in March. Now it's June! I hope everyone's having a great summer and whatnot! ~AA