Chapter 23 (Derek)

On the way to the school we just had made a little stop to steal clothes for me. So now Stiles and I stormed into the school. I could hear the heartbeats of panicking people and smell blood in the auditorium, but our pup's were somewhere else. I followed their scent to a classroom. The room inside was a mess and the betas were standing in a circle around a crying Lydia. Just Jackson and Scott weren't standing around Lydia. Scott were by the windows sniffing the air like he tried to follow the scent of something that escaped through the giant hole in the window. Jackson on the other hand was on the ground with Lydia, trying to comfort her.

"What happened?" I asked and immediately the heads of the Betas turned to me and Stiles. When Lydia raised her head I could see dark red stains on her throat. I got really mad. The Darach (without any doubt did that monster attack her) will die. How dare she hurt one of my pup's. I looked to my side, where Stiles still was, he now took a step forward to probably hug Lydia, but Boyd hold him back. "Mom, the Darach kidnapped someone again." "Who?" I asked Boyd. For some reason I could smell fear on him, but then I could smell something different, something I was too distracted to notice before. It was the fear of someone else, still lingering in the classroom. "The sheriff." Boyd said and looked sorry. He wanted to hug Stiles but Stiles took a step back. I could feel my mate's fear and sadness. "No." He said and then again. "No, no. That can't be true." He whispered but everyone in this room knew it was true and that the sheriff hadn't much time left, when we wouldn't find him.

I quickly took a step forward and wrapped my arms around my mate. It hurts to see him like this. Just when Stiles was in my arms, he started to cry. "I can't loose him. He's my dad." Stiles sobbed.

I just hugged him tighter and said hopefully calming things. "We will find him. Everything will be fine."

Every time when Stiles cried or just wasn't happy, all my instincts told me to change that, to make him happy again.

Later Scott and the others still couldn't find the Sheriff's scent, so we just returned to Stiles house and slept together in Stiles' bed. Lydia and Stiles needed this the most today.

The next day we would try everything to find the sheriff.

Deaton came and even Argent, but we still couldn't find him. Lydia told me, that the Darach was a teacher at their school, so I left Stiles with Lydia, Deaton, Jackson, Boyd and Melissa (Scott had called her to look at Lydia's throat) at his house and drove to school with the other Betas and Argent.

But the Darach didn't show up for school today and even the school had no information about her. Apparently her address, her telephone number and all of her background information were fake. So we had no idea how to find her. The only thing we get to know was that there was a new body.

A teacher got missing last night and was found this morning, killed like the others.

"That could just mean one thing: the Sheriff will be the first Guardian the Darach will sacrifice." Argent said to me, when we went back to our cars. I gave him an angry glance. Of course I wouldn't let anybody kill the father of my mate. Still it made sense. As the sheriff Stiles' Dad protects the whole town.

I didn't let the others get home. We teamed up in cars and drove around the preserve, hoping to find a scent. I simply couldn't return to Stiles and tell him that we found nothing.

I was sure right now Stiles would search every book and internet page trying to find something that would help us. Maybe that was just another reason why I loved him so much. He always gives everything for the people he loves.

I was in a car with Scott when Deaton called.

"Deaton! Got anything?" Scott picked up my phone and didn't waste any time for greetings.

"Scott! Is Derek with you?!" I furrowed my eyebrows. I never heard Deaton so frightened. "I'm here. We're in my car driving around the preserve." "Did something happen?" Scott asked scarred.

For a moment the other line was silent, then. "The Darach took Stiles."

I hit the brake pedal.

When we came to a halt, I left the car and transformed into a Wolf. I knew I was faster this way than with my car. So I took off and left Scott behind, he could drive with the car back. But Stiles was more important right now.

A few minutes later I arrived at the house and stormed in the living room. A quick glance around and I saw Melissa looking at a few scratches Lydia had on her arms, while the two werewolves seemed a bit confused, while Deaton checked on them. I saw blood, but their wounds seemed to heal. "Derek, we are so sorry. Everything happened so quick! She was gone before we even realized what she wanted." Jackson explained to me. "I thought she wanted Mrs McCall." Boyd muttered and Deaton sighed. "I think that was the reason she came here." My pup's looked as confused as I did. Nothing made sense anymore, why should the Darach want Stiles or Melissa. "Guardian doesn't mean what you think it is. It's simpler. She will sacrifice parents next, so she came for Melissa. But after she had knocked out the werewolves, Stiles told her to 'fuck off and never touch his pup's again'. I think she realized what Stiles was in that moment. I told you about the names that exist for an Alpha's Mate. One is Pack Mother, but the ancient Druids mostly used the name 'True Guardian'."

This was bad. This was really bad. That crazy Maniac would kill Stiles. It felt like someone stole my breath.

"She will sacrifices Mom and the Sheriff?" Lydia asked with tears in her eyes. "Just Stiles. That's the reason why they were called TRUE Guardians. They can replace the other two sacrifices and still give more power to the Darach than three 'normal' guardians would." That did nothing to calm me down. It just meant that Stiles would get murdered defiantly, when we couldn't stop her. I wouldn't let that happen. I will safe my Mate.