35: Strangers Again

"What do you mean we shouldn't get married?"

"Steph. This just isn't the right time for us and you know it. I'm not saying it won't happen down the road but--"

"No, that's exactly what you're saying Alyssa. Just say it." He said, getting frustrated.

"You're too busy, Wardell! You're too busy to invest any time in this wedding. This means a lot to me and you're over here treating it like a chore. I--"

"Woah, I never even said that! You know this means everything to me too, I've told you that so many times."

"You haven't acted like it."

"Things are simmering down. I know we can do this."

"No. We thought we could do it before, but it didn't happen. You've hurt me during the process and I can't even think about the wedding anymore. I feel like I'm making a fool out of myself doing this on my own." He sighed as he ran his fingers through his hair.

"I never meant to make you feel that way, but alright. Whatever. If that's the case, then maybe we shouldn't get married." He said, tired of arguing.

"I don't know what's going on anymore. I just feel like you haven't been the same because of everything else going on in your life." She sighed and stood up. "I need some space. Or. We need some space from each other to really figure things out." She picked up her purse. "I'll be at my mom's and I'll be in and out to get some things."

"That's it? What the hell, Alyssa. What about the twins? We have a family together, you can't just do that!" He slammed his hand on top of the counter. He didn't think it would be this serious. 

"We'll figure that out." She shook her head before leaving Steph dumbfounded.

-

Packing up his stuff in the locker room, Steph felt sluggish and exhausted from the game. Although the team managed to pull off a win with it being an off-game for him, he still couldn't find himself being happy. He played like shit, and on top of that, him and Alyssa were taking time apart. He felt empty and like he couldn't do much with his personal life being in shambles like this. 

He didn't exactly picture them switching off to watch the twins. This was supposed to be a joint thing.

And he knew if he only put in a little bit more effort, this would've all been avoided. 

"Aye man," Klay slightly tapped Steph on the arm. "We're heading to Temple tonight, you comin'?"

"Nah, I think I'm good." Steph kept his eyes on the duffle bag in front of him as he zipped it and threw the strap over his shoulder.

"You sure?" Klay frowned a bit. He knew Steph was going through it and he wanted to make sure he was okay. The least he could do is help him get things off of his mind.

"Yeah. I gotta pick up Micah." He lied. Klay simply nodded before walking out of the locker room. Steph sighed and checked his phone seeing no messages. No messages from Alyssa, at least. He didn't know why he was still waiting on her messages when he knew things between them were put on a pause. He couldn't expect anything out of her.

But damn, did he miss her. He didn't want this. He was so angry when they talked, he just didn't know how to respond. Or, how to even approach the situation in general. 

Leaving the arena, he simply smiled at the reporters and photographers still present so he wouldn't come off as rude. He threw his bag into the back seat of his car and sped out of the arena. He didn't feel like being home alone, but he also didn't feel like being out with the guys.

Hell, he'll just have a couple of drinks at a bar. 

Getting to his favorite bar, he notices how packed it is for a random, Wednesday night. He excuses himself through the crowd, making sure to politely make his way to the bar to avoid any other issues. He sits at the bar and calls for the bar tender to serve him a shot of Jack Daniels. The first shot goes down quick, but he winces at the burning sensation his throat feels after the alcohol has made its way down. Yet, that doesn't stop him from taking shot after shot.

When he first met Alyssa, they were complete stranger, but he knew that girl would easily become his world. He wanted to do everything for her, be everything to her and take care of her in any way possible. He knew that was the girl he wanted to marry and have a family with, despite all the drama with HB, Felicia and Christian. She started off like his own, personal.. unicorn. She was something special, something he was super obsessed with because she was out of the ordinary. He felt the love within him grow each and every time he laid eyes on her. 

He never thought they'd get out of the honeymoon phase. 

Now, it seems as if they've gotten too comfortable and that they were rolling downhill quickly. 

He'd hate for them to be strangers again. That was his biggest fear. 

"You alright there, Mr. Curry?" The bartender handed him his 5th shot in a row, making him feel tipsy quite quickly. 

"Yup."

"No you're not. No man ever comes in here alone and downs 5 shots within the last couple of minutes unless something's really wrong." He chuckled, making Steph crack a small smile. "Whatever it is, I'm sure you'll get through it."

"I guess so. Just hard to focus when you're missing your woman and all."

"You and the miss fighting?"

"Yeah..." He says, drunkly. "We're taking some time apart right now. Sucks." He laughs at himself. "I miss my baby girls."

"May I ask why?"

"My schedule just got too hectic. I was late to a couple of our wedding meetings. Missed one, too. It's really all on me." He downed another shot. "Yo, can I have another one of these?" The bartender shook his head and chuckled.

"In a few. I'll let you sit those through." Steph laughed.

"I'm so stupid, man. I should've put in more effort. I knew how much that wedding meant to us and I still managed to fuck it all up."

"Things happen for a reason, Mr. Curry. Maybe this time apart will really be beneficial to you guys and you'll be able to remember the reasons why you got together in the first place and had a family. No worries, sir. Space isn't necessarily a bad thing. You two will be able to work it out."

"Thanks man. I wish I could tell her that." 

"She'll see it herself, no need to do that."

"She's my world." He laughed as he pulled out his phone and looked at a candid picture of her and the twins. "They're my world."

"I know they are. You're a good man."

"Am I? I didn't try hard enough for her."

"Yeah. Most men would've given up by now." 

"Feel like I did awhile ago without realizing it. I don't even know if things will be the same." Steph felt himself calming down a bit, yet still drunk to a certain extent. He managed to text Alyssa an 'I miss you' earlier.

But he knew he wouldn't get a response.

"Don't think too much." The bar tender handed him some water. "Drink up. You might appreciate this later on." He chuckled before leaving him to tend to other customers momentarily. Steph examined the pictures of his girls once more before he felt the sadness sinking in again. He couldn't help but feel angry and sad at the same time. The girl drove him crazy. And he wished they could've worked it out instead of doing this.

He instantly regretted sending her an 'I miss you' text.

Too many thoughts were running through his mind. 

He was upset all over again.

SC: Forget that I said that. Goodnight, Alyssa.

-

(Burn - Usher)