15: Wake Up Calls

Steph took a deep breath before releasing his shot from the free throw line. It was one of those rare days where he couldn't seem to find his rhythm, majority of his shots hitting the rim and coming off of it.

"Damn." He said to himself as he stood there with his hands on his hips, looking at the basket. "I honestly don't know how she does it."

"You alright?" HB asked, a bit weirded out Steph was having a conversation with himself out loud.

"Yeah, my bad man." Steph grabbed a basketball and examined it before shaking his head and chuckling a bit. "No, you know what? I really don't understand it."

"Understand what?"

"How she does this to me. Every time we fight, no matter how big the situation, it throws me off." He chuckles again. "Aw man, that girl can really do it."

"Yeah." HB simply says, chuckling to himself but Steph doesn't catch it. "Just make sure you don't attack her about her ex, you know they hate that."

"Nah, I know. That was on me. I assumed a lot of things and came at her in a way that I shouldn't have. But." He pauses mid-sentence to throw up another shot. "In my defense, she didn't have to bring up Felicia."

"Man, you know they do that." HB smacks his lips, causing a bit of laughter to come from the both of them.

"Sheesh, you ain't ever lied HB. She remembers everything, I'ma give her that."

"Wouldn't be surprised."

"But, I took time to cool off. Figured out my wrongs. I'm gonna apologize to her when I get home. I miss my girls."

"That's good."

"I don't wanna dwell on it any longer. But I'ma have to keep my eye on him still. He's just a little too iffy to me."

"I don't blame you. It's weird to be showing up to the house out of nowhere."

"Twice."

"Exactly. Well, shit. I say if you spot him again, do something. Fire up the security in the house, call the cops."

"Gonna have to. I'm not gonna give him a chance to do anything to my girls. He just gives me the weirdest feeling, man. I can't even describe it."

"Weird vibes." HB chuckles.

"Really though." The two are startled and pulled out of their conversation when Klay busted through the gym doors.

"You son of a bitch! Did you really think I wasn't gonna find out?!" Klay yelled, storming into practice and pushing his teammate. At this point, the team was already on their toes, ready to get in between and interfere things from getting worse.

"Have you lost your damn mind? Get your fucking hands off of me." He slaps Klay's hands away. "Starting shit for no reason." He says, getting in Klay's face.

"Out of all fucking people, Sheri?!"

"What the hell is your issue? You left her!"

"That don't give you the right to go after my ex!"

"How so?" Klay clenches his jaw without responding. "Exactly. I'm over here trying to help her get out of the shit you put her in."

"What are you talking about?"

"That ain't for me to tell, and it's definitely none of your business. Not anymore. Leave her alone, bruh. You've caused her way too much damage at this point. And you got the audacity to come over here and pull this?"

"Ayo, come on ya'll. Coach about to be here soon, break it up." B. Rush says, getting in between the two. & Stephen was pretty ecstatic that he didn't have to stop the fight this time. He was too tired. And he was pretty over Klay acting all childish. "Settle this shit later."

"Fuck out my face, boy." His teammate says, slightly pushing him before walking away. But before Klay could jump at him, Steph puts his arm against his chest.

"Not today, Klay. Not today." Steph shoves him aside and follows him to ask him what the deal was. After all, he was still his boy. "What the hell is your problem, man? Busting in here like that?"

"He's seeing Sheri, Stephen! Did you not hear me?"

"And that's your issue because?"

"What? Are you serious?" Klay says, giving him a look as he sits down to get himself together before Coach comes walking in.

"Yes, I'm serious. Because last time I checked, you had the hots for Fatima and left Sheri hangin'."

"Okay, thank you for reminding me. Doesn't mean I don't care about her."

"Hm, debatable."

"Don't start with me, Steph."

"Well I don't know, you sound dumb, first of all. Don't try and flip the script when someone is trying to come onto Sheri. Hate to say it, but you did it to yourself."

"I'm sorry I still care?"

"I can't exactly agree with you. You knew you were hurting her and you still proceeded to leave."

"Dr. Phil? Is that you?" Klay manages to ask sarcastically, while still have a serious expression on his face.

"You know I'm right." Steph sighs and gives Klay a squeeze on the shoulder. "But, as Dray says. This isn't the time nor is it the place. So you needa push that aside and put in some work before Coach come and get you." He gives him a look before walking away. Klay leans onto his knees and sighs, looking out to his teammates. His blood boils all over again, but he shakes his head to shake away the negative thoughts. 

He couldn't believe he was agreeing with him again, but Stephen was right. It wasn't his issue and he did hurt her. He was feeling a bit dumb, remembering how much he loved the girl and how much he wanted to take care of her.

Now he was here, with someone other than Sheri.

And now Sheri was probably seeing his teammate. 

What a wake up call.

-

"Baby!" Stephen called as he walked into the house with his duffle bag over his shoulder.

"Hm?" She says, coming out of the hallway with Micah in her arms. As their parents, they just knew which twin was which even if they were newborns. The personalities were very clear. He smiles at the sight, slightly rushing over to engulf his girls in his arms. "Hey baby." He says, kissing her on the cheek and placing another kiss on Micah's forehead. "I'm sorry, alright? I'm sorry for being stubborn and all that."

"I'm sorry too."

"Can I have a proper kiss now?" He puckers his lips, making Alyssa give in. "That's what I like. How was your day? Where's Lay?"

"Dang, one question at a time." Alyssa says, chuckling. 

"Okay well, where's Layleana?"

"She's lying down on her play mat." Steph follows Alyssa into the living room, running over to the other twin and sitting next to her on the floor. She watches him shower their baby with love, giggling and bouncing with Micah in her arms. "How was practice, babe?"

"Oh yeah, practice.. I meant to ask. Have you talked to Sheri lately?"

"Not really? She didn't come for dinner last night cause something came up. Why?"

"Well, guess what I found out at practice today."

"What?"

"She's pretty much seeing someone new. Or I'm pretty sure it's getting to that stage."

"Who?"

"Mr. Shaun Livingston."