34: No Place Like Home

In all honesty, Steph has been enjoying his weekend at home. He missed being in the presence of his mom and dad, especially if his siblings all couldn't be home the same time he was. Though, he could use some of their company. Sydel was busy with school and Seth was on the road with the Kings. It was a rare weekend off and he couldn't be any happier making the decision to come home. 

Steph has been able to let his parents know about everything going on. He's been completely honest about how busy he's gotten and how it's been his fault for making it seem like the wedding wasn't a priority, but his parents were understanding about the situation. All Sonya and Dell wanted to do was make sure he was okay so he could make things okay with Alyssa. 

They've come too far to let this get in between them and the wedding. 

Steph threw his large duffle bag on the top of his bed and began to slowly pack his clothes. He had a flight back home coming up & it was a bit bittersweet for him. One, cause he missed his mom's cooking so much. Two, he couldn't wait to see Micah, Lay and Alyssa even after the arguments. She was aware he went home for the weekend, so the girls have been at her mother's for the weekend. 

The time apart was good for them. Hopefully. 

"Steph." Sonya gently knocked on the door before coming in. He turned to smile at his mother as he watched her sit on the bed and subconsciously began helping him fold his clothes and pack it into his duffle bag. 

"What's up, Ma?"

"You excited to go back home and see the girls?"

"Of course I am. I miss my girls. And besides." Steph threw some shirts into his bag. "I need to make things right with my woman."

"Your dad and I raised you right, didn't we?"

"I suppose." He shrugged playfully, earning a small pinch from his mom. 

"Stephen, I really want you to try your best to make it out to those meetings, alright?"

"I know, I know."

"I know it gets hectic, but the wedding should be one of your top priorities. You both want this, so you both need to equally invest time."

"Yes, I know. You're right, ma." 

"And you need to bring the girls back here."

"I will."

"I'm serious, you better bring my girls back here. I don't want you coming back unless you bring all three of my girls with you." She playfully smacked him on the arm, making Steph laugh and rub his arm.

"I said I will! Sheesh."

"You two will get through this. I believe it. You two get through anything."

"Yeah, I don't doubt it. I just feel bad for putting her through it. And having to handle the twins.." Steph shook his head. "Shake my head at myself endlessly if I could."

"As long as you acknowledge your mistakes. No use in going back, right? All you can do is move forward and be better." Steph zipped his bag and smiled at his mom.

"That's why I love coming home." He opened his arms to bring his mom in for a tight hug. "You always know how to put your baby in the right place."

"Of course I do." She pulled away and planted a kiss on his cheek. "I love you."

"Love you too, ma."

"Alright, let's get going. Your dad is waiting in the car." 

The ride to the airport was a silent one. Steph felt himself getting tired but anxious at the same time. Him and Alyssa haven't been talking much over the weekend, but he made it his duty to check up on her and the twins. 

He just wanted to see Alyssa. Hug her. Kiss her. Apologize for not being there and provide better. He was all too excited to have a fresh mind and start new getting back home. 

The flight was one of the longest things Steph's endured. You would think by now that he would be used to flying andd being on the road. 

He wasn't. 

As turbulence hit the flight quite often, he felt the butterflies in his stomach rise. There were already so many thoughts going through his head that the turbulence wasn't helping. For some reason, the excitement turned into an unsettling nervousness. All of a sudden he felt like things weren't going to go the way he expected it to. He already knew his fiancé pretty well, and he knew she would hold this against him for awhile. If he were her, he'd be upset too. But he just hoped things wouldn't take a big turn for the worse.

Stepping out from SFO, the cold wind hit his face as he took a moment to breathe the fresh air after being stuck on the plane for a couple of hours. He instantly smiled seeing Alyssa waiting for him in the car, but she was looking down at her phone.

She didn't look too happy.

"Hey baby." Steph threw his bag in the back before stepping into the passenger's seat and planting a kiss on her cheek. She simply gave him a toothless smile before driving off.

"Hey. How was home?"

"It was good. Nothing like being home." He checked the back seat to see two empty car seats. "Where are the girls?"

"With my mom."

"Oh? Are we picking them up right now?"

"No." 

"So.. they're just going to stay there tonight?" She simply nodded. He knew she was upset and hurt by the whole situation but he couldn't help but feel sad that she wasn't responding as much. Or, giving him the time of day. He sat comfortably in the seat as he looked out the window. The majority of the ride home was silent and he hated it, but he didn't want to do anything to upset her more. 

Sooner or later, she would reach out to him and let him know.

And that's exactly what she did.

"Steph." She said lowly as she parked their car in the driveway.

"Yes, baby girl?"

"We need to talk." His heart began to race as he picked up his duffle bag from the trunk and followed her inside the house.

"Well, whatsup?" He dropped his bag to the side as he continued to follow her into the kitchen. She sat on one of the bar stools as Steph leaned onto the counter in front of her. Alyssa sighed before she looked away and quickly wiped a tear away. "Hey, hey, hey. Come on now, I don't like coming home to my fiancé crying. What is it baby? Just tell me." He gently grabbed her chin to face her towards him and wiped a tear away.

"Steph, there's been too many things going on and I just think we need time to think about things."

"W-what? Think about what, Alyssa?"

"You know it's best. We should really think about this wedding, and figure out if this is the best time for us."

"So what are you trying to say?"

"I'm saying we shouldn't get married."