27: Backbone

"She's doing what?" George asked, almost choking on his iced tea.

"She's trying to elope with Shaun!" Alyssa said, frustrated. She rested her forehead in between her thumb and index finger as she edited, not knowing why this situation caused her so much stress. She just feels like her bestfriend is getting into more trouble jumping into a situation like this so quickly. It didn't sound appealing. It was nothing against Shaun; they just didn't know each other well enough to elope so soon.

"I didn't think they were serious."

"Clearly they are."

"Did she tell you about this?"

"No. And I honestly dont think she was planning to until after the deed was done."

"How'd you find out?"

"Shaun was eating at the same restaurant Steph and I were eating at. He told him while I was in the bathroom."

"Mm, great way to break some marriage news." George chuckled. "Hey, you never know. Maybe her and Shaun are really fit for each other. I mean, ya'll dont see much of them in public, but that doesn't mean much."

"Yeah but I just feel like they need to wait. I know I'm not really one to talk having kids hella early with Steph, but sheesh."

"Yeah, well. Everyone's different, Alyssa. So let's just try and be optimistic about this." He said, trying to calm her down. "Are you seeing her today?"

"Yes, only because I asked to see her." She looked down at her phone to check the time. "As a matter of fact, I'll be seeing her in a bit."

"Please don't go off on her."

"I'm not planning to! What makes you think that?"

"I don't know, you just be havin' a serious attitude sometimes, woman. Unnecessarily."

"Nah uh. Only if people ask for it." Alyssa smirked.

"Okay Miss I'mma beat Lebron's ass." George laughed. "What are you two going to do?"

"Just eat. I have to get the twins after. My mom's been so good with taking care of them these past days, I need to give her a break."

"Let me babysit then."

"No George, you're not gonna try and make 'em like you."

"Why not? Wouldn't it be a gift?" Alyssa shook her head. "Okay but foreel, let me come over later to see my babies."

"Just let me know when."

"Oh yeah, I meant to ask you. How's Klay doing with the situation?"

"Not too good." Alyssa kept her focus on her laptop to add the last finishing touches to her video.

"I really thought those two would make it."

"He's been texting me and Steph damn near every day cause he can't shake the feeling off alone."

"That poor man."

"I guess things happen for a reason. How about HB?"

"What about him?" She scrunched her forehead.

"Okay bitch, let's get this straight. He took care of you too, so don't be acting surprised that I'm still asking about him." Alyssa chuckled.

"He's cool. I haven't hung out with him much."

"Is Steph still weirded out by it?"

"No, not really. I mean me and that man got kids together, so he shouldn't be."