14: The Struggles & Pain

In a couple of days, the new season would be starting& the last thing on his mind was the first game. Stephen was still a bit frustrated with Alyssa about Christian. He wasn't mad at her, but the way she approached their conversation threw him off. 

And she also brought up the whole Felicia thing. Unnecessarily. 

Stephen knew his fiance was just as stubborn as he was, so it was obvious the two still needed some time to cool off and get over themselves before discussing the issue again. He hated the fact that they played the silent game every time they were upset. She was rarely ever the one to break the silence, even if she was more wrong than right in the argument. But once he got over himself, he'd return to his gentleman ways and apologize just to make things better with her.

Just not right now.

"Hey." Steph says, walking into the kitchen seeing Alyssa working on some dinner. 

"Hi."

"Whatcha making?"

"Pasta."

"Yum."

"Is it okay if Sheri has dinner with us?"

"Yeah. You two go eat, I'm not too hungry anyways."

"I guess." Alyssa shrugged, keeping her eyes on the cutting board.

"Twins taking a nap?"

"Mhm." There was an awkward silence. Steph sighed as he closed the fridge and took a sip from his glass of water.

"Well I'll be upstairs then." Being the princess that Alyssa is, she rolled her eyes and continued to cook the pasta. Before he could fully leave the kitchen, he turned back around and slightly threw his hands up in defeat.

"So are we just gonna keep doing this?"

"Doing what, Stephen?"

"This! This back and forth of being stubborn."

"I'm not being stubborn. You are."

"Me?" He sighed and rubbed his forehead. "You know what, never mind. Alright. Forget it. All I want to do is protect my family, is that so much?"

"Protect us from what? You're overthinking too many things."

"Whatever. Look, I'ma just give you some space tonight, alright?"

"Space for what?!"

"That! That attitude, is it necessary? Damn." He smacks his lips. "I'll be at Dray's tonight."

"Go. I can handle the twins by myself."

"Jesus." He mumbles, frustrated as he makes his way up the stairs to pack some stuff for the night. He feels horrible that he's leaving but at the same time, he's way too upset. He's mad. She's mad. They keep going in circles. You would think that living together, they'd learn how to fix their problems. 

Not in this case.

He doesn't understand why she's being so difficult. He throws his fists in the air, carefully trying not to hit anything solid so he doesn't wake up the twins. Regardless of what she told him, he was still gonna take precautions and keep his eye on Christian. Even if she doesn't like it. That was his final word. 

The issue wasn't supposed to become something this big. Over a psycho ex.

When Stephen finally leaves the house, Alyssa lets a few of her tears down. This is how they fought and she hated it. Putting two stubborn people together is work. But in due time, they'll be okay. So she lets it be. Hopefully.