28: Time is of the Essence

Alyssa hurriedly put the twins in the back seat before dialing Steph's number. She knew he was at practice, but she just wanted to make sure he remembered their meeting with the wedding planner. As she pulled out of the driveway, she looked in the rear view mirror to check up on the girls. She smiled softly as they both contently sat in their carriers.

She rang his phone once more, the rings slightly pulling her deeper into her thoughts. Although her and Stephen always found a way through everything, things have been way too hectic lately and she wasn't sure how to feel. Besides getting back into her career, things have just been a little shakey and off since the Christian incident. Steph does a really good job of reassuring her and keeping their family safe, but Alyssa can tell it's still in his head. Second, on top of that, he's been completely occupied with various appointments on his downtime. If it's not a game or practice, it's interviews, meetings or shoots. 

Yeah, she knows it's all a part of being involved with the league's MVP. But it kind of just makes her wonder if they'd be able to handle planning a wedding at the moment. 

She hates having to think so negatively, but it was the truth. 

"Wardell, if you don't pick up the phone." She said as the phone continued to ring. When it took her to voicemail, she ended the call through the car's system and sighed. Alyssa knew she could trust him, but for some reason, things weren't sitting well whenever she thought about the wedding planning. 

Seconds later, she was pulled out of her thoughts by an incoming call from Wardell.

"Baby, I'm sorry. I just got to my phone right when you ended the call." He said, catching his breath.

"It's fine. I just wanted to remind you about our meeting."

"You don't gotta remind me, sweetie. I know." He chuckled.

"Okay, but our meeting is in 10 minutes and you're still tryna catch your breath from practice."

"Don't sweat it. Why wouldn't I go?"

"I don't know? I'm just saying."

"I got you baby. I won't be late. I'll see you in a bit."

"Mkay Wardell." She sighed as the call ended. His reassurance, although simple & quick, was always something she loved to hear. It made her feel better, and it made her feel good knowing he didn't want her to stress. She didn't want to think negatively about things, but this was their wedding and she wanted things to be perfect. Not like a chore.

Getting to SmittenKiss, the wedding planning company, she felt more excited than nervous. She had gathered a couple of ideas off of Pinterest with the help of Stephen & she was excited to share it with their wedding planner, Cali.

"Hey, you're Alyssa right?" A light-skinned female with black hair smiled at her, waving for her to come through the door. "I'm Cali, come on in." Alyssa fastened Micah & Lay's seats into the stroller before proceeding to walk in. 

"Hey Cali, thanks for meeting with us last minute."

"Oh no worries. I had time. It's been a slow week, so I'm extra happy to come along & help you two out." She chuckled as they both situated themselves in their seats and got comfortable. "Will Mr. Curry be here today?"

"Uhm, yeah." Alyssa looked at her watch. "I'm sorry. He's just about to get out of practice so he'll be here soon."

"That's absolutely okay. And who are these two cuties?" She slightly leaned over her desk to examine the twins in their stroller.

"This one's Micah, and this one's Layleana." Alyssa smiled down at her girls and fixed their blankets.

"They're adorable." Cali admired the twins once more before returning her attention to Alyssa. "So, first things first. When did you guys want to get married?"

"Well, Steph and I wanna make sure the girls are a bit older, so we were thinking sometime next year in the summer?"

"Perfect timing. Summer weddings are always fun to plan." Cali smiled. "Show me what you got! Then we can go from there and slowly start building the foundation for the wedding." And with that, Alyssa happily pulled out her ideas from her bag and the two began to chatter & plan away. Alyssa was so caught up with the planning that she almost forgot that Stephen needed to be there & that time was ticking away. 

35 minutes deep into the first session of the wedding planning quickly went by before Stephen marched through the door a bit tired from rushing over.

"Mr. Curry! Glad you could join us for the last bit of the session. Come sit." Cali quickly stood to grab another seat for Steph. He nervously smiled at his fiance, who was already giving him the death stare for being too late to the meeting.

"I'm sorry." He mouthed out as he comfortably sat on the chair and joined in as the two continued to plan away. Because he was late, he had no idea what was going on or what they were even discussing, so the best he could do was nod his head in approval. Here and there, he'd feel pinches on his leg behind the desk as Alyssa caught him yawning.

"You said you wouldn't be late." Alyssa said as they both walked out of the building after the meeting.

"I know, I know. I'm sorry. I just got caught up talking to Coach about some things."

"You could've warned me." She stood by her car with her arms folded.

"I know, I'm sorry. It won't happen again, alright?" He cupped her face before planting a kiss on her forehead. "Please don't be mad." She pouted before giving him a small smile. It did kind of hurt that he wasn't able to make it on time, but she couldn't go against his schedule. Besides, she couldn't stay mad no matter how hard she tried.

-

Klay quickly parked his car and stormed to the apartment him and Sheri used to share. After accidentally hearing from Steph that Sheri and Shaun were planning to elope, he knew he had to take action to prevent that from happening.

Not his girl.

He pounded on the door as hard as he could, not really caring if it scared her or not. His blood was boiling, he felt nauseous and he was scared it was too late.

"Klay, what the hell is your problem? Knocking on my door like that." Sheri swung the door open and stepped aside to let him in.

"This is technically still my place too, you know."

"Whatever. What do you need?" She crossed her arms.

"What do you think you're doing?"

"With what?"

"Shaun?"

"How do you know?"

"That doesn't matter. Why are you trying to elope with him? You barely know the guy."

"What is up with you and Alyssa? Did she put you up to this too? Or should I ask, did you put her up to this? Cause she did the same thing.

"Maybe because you shouldn't be eloping with someone you dont even know, Sheri. You guys met like, two days ago."

"Shut up, Thompson. It's been longer than that."

"Longer than us?" He clenched his jaw as he watched her look down at her feet. "I'm sorry Sheri. I can't let you do that."

"Klay, you can't tell me what to do."

"I can't, but I can let you know that it isn't right. Look, I love you. But, if you're happy with him, then so be it. I just.. need you to at least take your time and figure out if this is the right man for you or not. I'd hate to see you put yourself into a situation you can't get out of it in the long run."

"I don't really have to explain myself to you, but all I'm saying is that it feels right."

"Does it?" He stepped closer to her.

"Yes." He looked down at her eyes before gently cupping her cheek and planting a deep kiss on her lips.

"Or did that feel right?" Sheri backed away with her fingers on her lips, speechless. Before he could say anything else, she shook her head and looked down.

"I think it's time for you to go, Klay." He sighed.

"You & I both know this isn't what you want."