16: Drunk Mind, Sober Thoughts

"So when were you going to tell me that you were seeing Shaun?" Alyssa folded her arms as she stood by the kitchen counter.

"Are the twins awake yet?"

"Sheri, quit playing me! They're still asleep, so you're out of luck, sweetie."

"Fuck." Sheri mumbled and chuckled nervously. "Well first thing's first, I'm not seeing him."

"Then what do you call it?"

"Friends?"

"Are you kidding me? You slept over his place."

"What, friends don't sleep over each other's places?"

"No, friends especially don't sleep over each other's places like that. You guys are seeing each other!" Alyssa raises her voice.

"Be quiet! You're gonna be the reason why Steph and the twins wake up!"

"Steph is a pretty heavy sleeper. & Speaking of him, I had to find out through him!"

"I was going to tell you! I didn't think Klay would make such a big deal out of it."

"Something's wrong with him." Alyssa scrunched her eyebrows.

"Yeah, well. I'm not too worried about it."

"Why, cause of Shaun?" She said, teasing Sheri by emphasizing his name.

"Don't say his name like that, it's weird."

"Shaaaauuun." She repeated and wiggled her eyebrows. "Care to tell me how this happened, now?" Sheri sighed.

"Well, that's what I've been meaning to talk to you about." Sheri said, nervously. "Can you sit next to me so I don't feel as nervous?"

"Yeah, sure." Alyssa says, confused and a bit worried. She takes a seat next to her bestfriend, facing her. "What's wrong?"

"Look. Before I say anything. I just wanna apologize in advance. I never meant to hurt you or anything. I just didn't know where I was... still don't, actually." Sheri looked down at her hands before returning her attention back to Alyssa. "It happened."

"What happened?"

"I gave in. I gave in to it." She stared at Alyssa, watching her finally realize what she meant.

"A-are you okay? What? How? Where did you even get it?"

"Rodney. Long story short, I just fell to the bottom and I didn't know how to bring myself back up. Especially after Klay."

"But honey, you know you could always turn to me no matter what. You didn't have to go there."

"I know, but that's how Shaun came in the picture. We chilled at the club that night then the next thing I know, he's trying to take care of me and tosses the shit I had into the dumpster to make sure I wouldn't do it again." Alyssa softly smiles.

"Well, I'm glad he came at the right time."

"You know, with the twins and everything, I didn't wanna bother you and Steph."

"Girl, you know I'm always gonna be here for you. I'm never gonna leave your side. So if you need me, then let me know. I don't want you to feel like you're alone." Sheri wipes the tears falling from her eyes as Alyssa brings her in for a hug.

"I was so scared to tell you, cause I thought you'd be done with me."

"I mean, I am pretty upset that you went back to that, but you gotta learn on your own Sheri. I can't tell you this and that." Alyssa chuckles. "As much as I want to sometimes, I can't tell you what to do. Or how to learn."