30: Call Me Crazy

She hated seeing the pain come alive in Shaun's eyes. The moment she let go of his hands, he looked at her, heartbroken as ever. The tears slowly fell from her eyes, but she shook her head and explained.

She couldn't lie to herself.

She loved that he helped her, and that he saved her from falling way too deep into the black hole she dug back up from her past. She loved the attention he gave her, and how he made her feel like the only one in the world. But all this time, she still found herself wishing for Klay and hoping things would work out for the best between them.

Her heart remained with that man, regardless of what she did.

Taking one last look at him, she ran off to find herself a cab back to the hotel to quickly grab her things and head back home. Good thing they weren't too far off or else she didn't know who she could call. Sheri quickly packed her things into the car & told the driver her destination. She didn't care if she hurriedly put on some capri leggings and a hoodie and looked like shit with her makeup smeared here and there. She just needed to get out of there.

During the car ride, she worked up the courage to send a lengthy text to Shaun apologizing about everything. She knew a text and her apologies wouldn't make a difference, but she promised they would talk in the near future. She then proceeded to tell him that she wished him the best and that she hopes they could still be good friends later on. 

She wasn't going to lie, it stung like a bitch doing this to someone who really cared about her. And she hated being that person to him. He didn't deserve it. But, she also thought about herself and how she couldn't see herself growing old with Shaun. 

She saw Klay.

You had to be selfish sometimes, right?

It began to rain quite heavily as they approached the destination. She grabbed her things, paid the cab and started pounding on the door in front of her.

"Aye, aye! Shutup!" She heard Draymond on the other side of the door. The rain was soaking her hoodie pretty quickly, so she grew a bit impatient waiting for Dray to get to the door. Opening it, his eyes widened as he was surprised to see the girl standing on his porch. "Sheri?"

"Is Klay here?"

"Uh yeah." He chuckled as he eyed her up & down. "Damn girl, what you get into?"

"Hush up & get that boy." 

"Aight, aight. Sheesh." He peered over to her side. "Where you get that booty from?"

"Dray!"

"I'm going." He threw his hands up as she playfully hit his arm. He left the door slightly ajar, allowing Sheri to hear the noise from inside. She was pretty sure some of their teammates were over as well, and knowing that made her feel nervous. 

"I beat you already, Fes! You're a liar." She heard Klay say as he got closer to the door. She licked her lips nervously and fiddled with her fingers in the pocket of her hoodie as she watched him opened the door and catch eye contact with her. "Sheri?"

"Hey." He looked behind him once more before stepping out completely and closing the door.

"What're you doing here? You're soaking, do you want me to grab you another hoodie?"

"I'm fine." She sighed. "Look, call me crazy, but I came here to talk to you about us."

"What about us?"

"I thought about everything you said. About us. About my decisions with Shaun and all that."

"So, tell me." He paused. "Did you make the right decision? I told you, I just want you to be happy--"

"I did."

"So you're married?" His expression fell a bit. "T-to Shaun? I'm guessing that's what you're trying to tell me cause--"

"Klay." She chuckled.

"What?"

"No. I'm not married."

"Then what is it?"

"You."

"Me?" She chuckled and rolled her eyes at how clueless he was being all of a sudden.

"When I first dreamt about my dream wedding, I saw myself having a very simple wedding. I never wanted it to be a huge one. Just close friends and family members." She kept her eyes on Klay as he arched an eyebrow, a bit confused as to where this was going. "But the biggest thing about it was that I always saw myself marrying my best friend. Someone I could always confide in, grow endlessly with and someone I could turn to on both good & bad days." He softly smiled as Sheri got closer to him. "When I got to that altar with Shaun, that whole thing replayed in my head. But I didn't see him. I saw you."

"Is that so?" He gently wrapped his arms around her waist. 

"I'm sorry Klay. I'm really sorry I didn't think about things and that I pushed you away. I know it took me a lot to realize and that it was dumb of me, but. I don't wanna do this back & forth thing anymore. I wanna work on us and being better together."

"Don't apologize, Sheri. I know me saying sorry can't take back what I did and how much I hurt you, but I promise you I will never put you through that again. You make me a better man, and I'll continue to do just that for you." She smiled as he brushed the wet hair out of her face. He pressed his lips against her forehead before wrapping his arms around her and hugging her tightly.

"I love you." She mumbled as she dug her face in his chest. 

"I love you too, beautiful." He pulled away to gently grab her face and kiss her passionately. After, he kept his forehead against hers, admiring her face as he caressed her cheek. "Come on, I got some clothes you can change into. Stay with me tonight."

"We do have a place together, you know?"

"Eh, we can be a little adventurous in Dray's house." He winked as he opened the door. She chuckled as she stepped inside. "So a simple wedding, huh?"

"Klay, don't start."

-

(You and Me - Lifehouse)