29: 'Til Death Do Us Part

Sheri looked outside the window of the hotel, observing the view. Today was the day that her and Shaun were going to make things official. She let out a small sigh before softly smiling to herself as she felt Shaun's hands around her waist.

"You alright?" He kissed her cheek as he examined the rest of her body language, trying to ease her up.

"Yeah I'm okay."

"Do you want anything to eat before we go? I'm gonna head down to the 'lil shop they got downstairs."

"Mm, I'm okay. Thank you." She smiled at him as he winked and made his way out of the room. She sighed heavily as she returned her attention back to the view in front of her. She wasn't sure if she was just nervous or stressed, but she wasn't feeling as happy as she expected to feel. After her and Alyssa fought, the words Alyssa said continuously played in her head.

And now, Klay?

She kept replaying his kiss over & over again.

Although it was wrong and that whole meeting was brief, it stuck with her. She hated fighting with Alyssa, and the last time she found herself in this position was when she was going through her phase of addiction. She always remembered how Alyssa was her saving grace and she hated that things had to be this way. She hated it so much that she took everything she said into consideration and began to think about her actions. No one's ever perfect, but she knew Alyssa wouldn't act that way for no reason.

Maybe she should've talked to Klay, maybe she should've thought twice about her decisions. There were a ton of maybe's and what if's going through her head, even though it was a bit too late. She was here with Shaun and she wasn't sure how she was going to get out of it.

Well, she wasn't really sure if she wanted to get out of it or not. She was happy she was here, but at the same time, she was upset she didn't at least have her best friend by her side.

"Are you ready, baby girl?" Shaun came back into the room, munching on a candy bar as he tie swung freely around his neck.

"Mm, yeah I am." She smoothed out the simple, yet elegant white dress she bought and fixed her hair as she approached the door.

"You look beautiful." He wrapped his arms around her waist and pulled her close. She bit onto her bottom lip before tracing his jaw with her finger and planting a kiss on it.

"And you, sir. Don't look too shabby yourself." She giggled.

"Alright, listen to this." He held her hand as they walked down the hallway. "Mrs. Sheri Livingston." He chuckled and looked down at her. "How that sound, shawty?"

"Good, coming from you."

"I'm excited. I'm excited to have this beautiful woman to call my own. I'm excited for tonight. I'm excited to take you on a trip during my off days. I'm excited for everything with you." He kept his eyes on her as they made their way to the elevator.

"I am too, Shaun." She simply said, her eyes fixed on his. He leaned in for a kiss, but for some reason, she didn't feel the same spark she used to feel when he first came to her rescue. But she smiled and shook it off.

Maybe it was just the nerves. Wedding jitters.

Getting into the car, Shaun immediately told their driver their destination. He held onto her hand tightly as she looked out the window silently. Briefly checking her phone, she saw no messages. None from Alyssa. None from Klay. Just, none.

She felt alone, and the closer they got to their destination, the more nauseous and queasy she felt. Sheri didn't expect to feel this way, and she tried to push it aside as much as she could.

She knew she was happy, she knew she wanted this. So why wasn't the feeling going away?

"Are you sure you're okay, babe? We don't have to do this if you don't feel--"

"I'm fine, I promise." She nodded reassuringly & rubbed his hand as the car continued to speed down the highway.

As a little girl, Sheri never found herself interested in huge, extravagant weddings. She was always the type to daydream of a wedding that was in her spacious backyard, with her close friends and family in attendance. A few string lights to illuminate the backyard as it got dark, a few pieces of material draped around the backyard with simple, white flowers as decoration and candlelights as table centerpieces. Literally, that was it for her.

Simple, yet comfortable and warm.

She guesses this is why she didn't object to eloping because it was simple.

Without Shaun, she didn't know where she would be. He saved her at the right time & she took it as God sending her that saving grace she finally needed.

But was this really it?

She thought her and Klay would be done for good. She didn't expect to see him again, speak to him again, let alone feel his lips on hers again.

"We're here." The driver looked in the rearview mirror and winked. Shaun hurriedly hopped out of his seat to open the car door for Sheri. He grabbed her hand before the two stood there to observe the building. He smiled down at her and squeezed her hand, earning a small smile from the girl.

The man that welcomed them ushered them to take a seat as he said that he would be with them soon. Sheri winced as she looked around the room. It smelled like a funeral home and she didn't like it one bit.

This definitely wasn't comfortable.

But she saw the decorations at the alter and she felt a bit relieved. White and simple. The flowers alongside the altar were beautiful as well that she almost questioned if she could take a set back home to the hotel.

"Shall we?" The same man that welcomed the two held his hand out and led them to the altar.

"You ready, Mrs. Livingston?" He whispered as he fixed his tie.

"Mhm." She gave him a toothless smile before letting out a breath as they stepped onto the altar.

He walked them through the scene quickly before he proceeded to ask if they were ready and if he could proceed with the actual ceremony. Sheri swallowed the lump in her throat as she felt the temperature in the room rise. She tried to listen as attentively as possible, but his voice seemed to be drowning in her own thoughts.

It was as if his voice was drifting farther and farther away.

Looking at Shaun as she was told to, she examined his features as he held her hand and smiled as he said I do.

"Now, Sheri. Do you take Shaun to be your lawful husband, in good times and in bad, in sickness and in health, until death do you part?" She looked back down at her hands as they began to feel a bit sweaty.

As part of her daydreams as a little girl, the main person she saw herself marrying was her bestfriend.

"I.." She sighed before shaking her head. "I'm sorry." She whispered as Shaun scrunched his forehead in confusion.

Looking back up, she didn't see Shaun's face.

She saw Klay's.

That was her bestfriend.

"I can't do this."