Chapter 2

{Character in picture: Emily Osment as Lauren Beckham}

{Song in video: Vanessa Hudgens - Let Go}

"So how was your first day of work?" My mom asked me as soon as I walked in the house.

I sighed since I didn't want to talk about it. "It was good," I squeaked. I tended to squeak whenever I told a lie or not the whole story of something.

My mom raised her eyebrows. "Okay Kace, what happened? Talk to me." She gave me a look.

I took a deep breath and sighed. "Well...on the way to work I had my windows down and was singing and dancing along to my music. I stopped at a stoplight and a cute guy saw me and laughed."

Instead of her consoling me, she burst out laughing. "Oh Kace, we all have embarrassing moments."

"That wasn't even the worst part. A while later, the same guy came into the bakery. Apparently he's a regular customer." I groaned.

I heard Kristen snicker behind me. "No wonder you can hardly get any guys," she said with a smirk, twirling her reddish brown hair.

"At least I didn't date almost every guy at school," I retorted. Usually I was very patient and didn't care what she said, but today put me in a weird mood.

Me and her were completely different; even though she was a few years younger than me, she had more boyfriends than I had. She went to parties, and I would rather bake or hang out with my friends.  She was also really popular and I wasn't, not that I cared about that sort of thing anyway.

"Hey, hey girls. Let's not say mean things to each other," my mom said, giving us a warning look.

"Whatever," Kristen muttered under her breath. Then, she put on her puppy dog eyes and smile. "By the way mom, I forgot to tell you, but I have plans tonight..."

"Plans for what?" She gave her a curious look.

"Shopping at the mall with my friends." She continued to smile sweetly.

I rolled my eyes. I knew she wasn't going to the mall. Whenever she told mom she was shopping at the mall, that meant she was going to a party. "I'm going to go to my room," I mumbled. I walked up the stairs and into my room.

For the next few hours, I watched "Friends" on Netflix, trying to make myself forget about what happened today. I knew Raj was going to keep making fun of me whenever he came to the bakery, and I was not looking forward to that.

I heard someone knock on my door. "Dinner's ready!" My mom exclaimed through the door.

I paused my Netflix, and then walked downstairs. I was in a much better mood after watching the sitcom.

"Hey Kaci," Jay, my stepdad, said cheerfully as he pat me on the head. He was extremely tall, 6'3, and was very fit to say the least. Him and mom were both fitness trainers so that made sense. At first glance, he looked intimidating but when you got to know him, he was actually really funny and cool to be around with.

"Hey Jay," I greeted, giving him a smile.

We went into the kitchen, put chicken, macaroni, and green beans onto our plates, and then sat down at the dining table.

"So how was work?" He asked me, taking a bite of his green beans.

I winced and my mom must have noticed that I didn't want to talk about it because she said, "So how do you like your food, Jay?" She changed the subject.

"Oh it's very good, Kristina, thank you." He said to her and smiled.

"Where's Marcus and Takara?" She noticed they weren't here.

"Marcus is busy producing music, as usual, and I'm not sure where Takara is." He frowned and then turned to me. "Have you talked to Takara since you got back?"

I shook my head. "Not at all. I didn't see her but then again, I was in my room basically the whole time since I came home," I replied, shrugging and eating my food.

I didn't really know Takara that well, but she was distant with me, my mom, and Kristen since Jay started dating my mom. Ever since Jay and my mom got married, Takara has been distant with pretty much everybody and was gone for most of the day. No one ever knew where she went, except sometimes Marcus.

Jay sighed. "I'm going to talk to her later," he said grimly.

I gave him a sympathetic look. I knew it wasn't easy on everyone to deal with so many changes. Hopefully, Takara will be less distant some day.

"This food is great mom," I said, complimenting her.

"Thank you, sweetie," my mom said, giving me a smile. "I also made dessert."

My eyes widened and I grinned. "That's great! What is it?"

"Your favorite, chocolate chip cookie sundae."

"Awesome! Thank you sooo much!" I gave her a hug and hurriedly got myself a plate of dessert.

"It was the least of what I could do since you didn't have that great of a day." My mom followed me in the kitchen.

"You don't have to worry about that anymore. Who cares what he thinks anyways? So what if he's a regular customer at my work? I bet he's done some embarrassing things himself." I closed my eyes and grinned.

"That's the spirit!" She gave herself a plate of the dessert. Even though she was a fitness trainer, she still ate desserts and sweets, even though most of them don't. She believed we should eat food at a balance, including some of the junk food.

After I was done, I went back into my room and continued watching "Friends."

**********

A/N: So this is the second chapter, more of a filler so the story flows better. Sorry if this particular chapter is boring.

READ

VOTE

COMMENT