Chapter 1

{Character in picture: Ariana Grande as Kaci LaSpina}

{Song in video: Kylie Minogue - Secret (Take You Home)}

I put my semi-long bright red hair into a ponytail and put on a pink blouse, skinny blue jeans, and pink flats.

I looked in the mirror, taking a deep breath and sighing. I was going to start my new and first job at a bakery shop called Beckham's Bakery. One of my best friends, Lauren Beckham, works there and her mom is in charge of the place.

I went downstairs and grabbed a piece of toast. I was on the way out when my mom walked downstairs and said, "You're starting the bakery job today?"

I turned to her and nodded. "Yup, I'm looking forward to it. It shouldn't be too hard since it's Lauren's mom's bakery."

"That's good and thank you so much for having this job, Kaci. It really means a lot to me and I appreciate it." She smiled and gave me a kiss on the forehead.

"You're welcome. Anything to help out." I smiled and gave her a kiss on the cheek back. I waved at her and walked outside.

I was helping out my mom by getting a job because she recently got married to a man named Jay Williams. He had two kids; a twenty-two year old son named Marcus and a seventeen year old daughter named Takara Williams, who was my age. There had been a lot of changes lately. My mom, my fifteen year old sister named Kristen, and I moved out of our smaller old house to move into our current two story house. Jay and his kids also moved out of their old house, but they were from a few different counties away. I felt bad for Marcus and Takara since they had to leave their town while me, my mom, and Kristen were still in our same town. Unlike Takara and Kristen, I was thrilled to be part of a bigger family. Our family was multiracial; my mom, Kristen, and I were white, and my step-dad and step-siblings were black.

I got in the car and went through my iPod, choosing to play "Secret (Take You Home)" by Kylie Minogue. I rolled down my windows and sang along to the song as I drove off.

When I got caught at a stoplight, I was singing and dancing along to the song, when I noticed a cute guy with shaggy medium-length hair staring at me from his convertible, which was to the left of me. Mortified, I quickly stopped singing and dancing, and felt my cheeks turn red. The guy gave me an amused smile and laughed. Please light turn green. Usually, I could care less if I embarrassed myself in front people, especially strangers, but it was a major deal if it was in front of a cute guy.

Finally after what felt like an eternity, the light turned green, and I quickly drove off, hearing my tires screech. I was pretty sure it made a mark on the road.

A few minutes later, I arrived at the bakery. I went it and was greeted by Lauren. "Hey!" She exclaimed, giving me a hug. "So are you looking forward to working with me and mommy?" She grinned.

"Yeah, I sure am!" I said, grinning at her.

"Do you have an apron?"

"No...was I supposed to bring one?" I gave her a worried look.

She waved her hand at me and laughed. "Oh no, don't worry. We have plenty in the kitchen."