56

( GHOST )

MOTEL ROOM
[ ☾]

Dean, Elena and Sam enter. Garth is performing some sort of martial art exercises in the courtyard to the rear of the room. "Garth. Where's Baxter?" Sam asks.

Garth comes into the room and points. "Dude's a lot heavier than he looks, FYI." He says. Randy is in the hot tub with a pillowcase over his head. "But here." He indicates Dean's EMF reader. "Thought you might want this back."

"You have the CEO of the douchiest microbrew in the US gagged in your hot tub?" Dean asks. "You really think that's gonna end well?"

"I'm not feeling the love." Garth says.

"All right. Shojo. Uh, let's see what we can see." Sam sits down at the table to use the laptop.

"What's Shojo?" Asks Garth.

"Japanese booze monster." Dean says.

"I guess that would explain why you got to be drunk to see it. Very poetic." Garth says. Sam does a search for "Shojo" and clicks on the first link, which is to the page "Open Minds to Deeper Knowledge." The text is in Japanese and there is a black-and-white drawing. Garth looks over Sam's shoulder. "Ooh. Creepy."

A message box that says "Translating Japanese text to English" pops up on screen and then the page appears in English. It reads: A Shojo (Heavy drinker or Orangutan) is a kind of Japanese sea spirit with a red face and hair and a fondness for alcohol. Legend has it, that workers at the breweries in Japan have seen a Shojo lurking about after indulging in their products.

With the right Spell Box you can harness a Shojo to your will. The legend is the subject of a Noh play of the Same name. There is a Noh mask for this character, as well as a type of Kabuki stage makeup, that bares [sic]the name. The Chinese and Japanese characters for Orangutan are the Same, and can also be used in Japanese to refer to someone who is particularly fond of alcohol. Fatal weakness: Samurai sword consecrated with a Shinto blessing.

"Okay. So, a Shojo is said to roam where there's lots of alcohol." Sam says. "There's lore saying that, back in the old day, if you were plastered enough, you could see one skulking around the breweries in Japan."

Dean is refilling his flask with whiskey. "Yeah, but why is this one shredding brewers' kids?" He asks.

"Apparently, you can harness the will of a Shojo with the right spell box." Sam says. "Then you basically have an attack dog that you can sic on whatever sort of personal revenge mission you want."

"So Dale nabs one to punish his pals." Dean says.

"Send the bottle, sooner or later it's popped open. Then you have a Shojo that will do whatever Dale compelled it to do right here on the box."

"Wait. Except it's not killing the people that screwed him over." Garth says.

"Well, Dale's widow said the company was his baby. So, if he really wanted his friends to feel what he felt..." Sam starts.

"He would take theirs. Well, their kids. Jim's, anyways." Dean says.

"And Baxter was the godfather." Elena says.

"All right, skip to how do we gank it." Dean says.

"Good news. It is killable." Sam says.

"But..." Dean starts.

"But only with a Samurai sword consecrated with a Shinto blessing." Sam says.