30

( BULLET WOUND )

OUTSIDE HOSPITAL
[ ☼ ]

       "Where the hell did you go?" Bobby sees the Young Boy standing nearby. "Yeah, you! You, kid! Hey, what are you making like a white rabbit all over the place for, you grubby little—enough with the jump scares, kid. Who are you running from?"bThe Young Boy says nothing. "Wait a minute. I know you."

       "Did you think I was dead?" Rufus asks. Bobby turns and sees Rufus being wheeled out of a hospital by a nurse. Rufus laughs and hands the nurse a piece of paper.

       "Call me, all right?"!Rufus gets out of the wheelchair. "Don't sit Shiva for me yet, Bobby."

       Bobby looks behind him, but the Young Boy is gone. "Listen—after Bridezilla took you out, do you remember what you told me about your near-death experience?" He says.

       "I haven't told you nuthin' yet. But now that you mention it, pretty sure I almost crossed over." Rufus says.

      "And what did you see?"

       "What did I see? What are you so riled up about, paco? All right, all right." Rufus says. "I saw a hallway, uh, plaid carpet, uh, the apartment building from when I was a kid."

       "And?" Asks Bobby.

        "And I wanted out. I'm not dying on no damn plaid carpet. No, thank you."

       "So, what did you do?" Bobby asks.

       "Well, obviously, Bobby, not being stupid, I started looking for the damn exit door." Rufus says. "Y-you know, I swear that's what they mean about your life flashing before your eyes, 'cause every time I opened the door, there was another chapter inside – the good, the bad, the bloody."

       "So, how did you get out?"

       "Found the right door, obviously." Rufus says.

       "Well, how did you find it?" Asks Bobby.

       "Oh, simple—I went deep."

       "Deep. Like old?" Bobby asks.

        "No, deep like... Crap you do not want to think about, so you bury it, you shove other crap over it, and you don't go there, ever." Rufus says.

      "So, you're telling me that the way out was through your worst memory?"

      "It's an important door, Bobby." Says Rufus.

       "Okay, this is good."

       "What the hell are you going on about, anyway?" Asks Rufus.

        Bobby takes the piece of paper out of his jacket pocket. "This. I got to find the right door to get this to Sam and Dean. I'm in a coma, Rufus, right now." He says.

       Rufus laughs. "Get out." He says.

       "I got shot in the dunce cap, Rufus. I'm—I'm dying." Says Bobby.

       "You sure?"

       "Unfortunately." Says Bobby.

       "I'll be a prima ballerina." Rufus says. "Wait, wait, Bobby. Are you trying to tell me I'm just one of your better memories?"

       "Would I make this up?" Bobby asks. There is thunder and the ground shakes. "Okay. I got to go."

      "What?"