21

( DEATH OF A FRIEND )

       Later at Nikolai's house, Dean, Elena and Sam look at the bloodstained coffee table and scattered silverware. "He probably should have bent those with the power of his mind." Dean says.

       "Chief. We met at the station." Sam says.

       "Right. Morning, Agent." The Chief says.

       "Morning. Uh, this is Agent Borne and Riley." Sam says. "So, what happened?"

       "It's a weird one. Chest full of cutlery."

        "All right. We're gonna take a look around. Let us know if you get any leads." Dean says.

       "Oh, I got leads coming out of my ass." The Chief says. "As of 9 o'clock, our tip line had 46 calls, all from clairvoyants that know what really happened."

       "What's the popular theory?" Dean asks.

        "It's a toss-up between a ghost and some sort of ogre that only attacks Russians."

       "Policing Lily Dale sounds fun." Elena says.

       "It was either this or Los Angeles."

        "So, these clairvoyants, did they give any details as to why they thought it was a ghost? Or a... Russian ogre?" Sam asks.

       "Their spirit monkey said so. Plus, apparently, this guy claims he had a vision of his own death, cutlery and all." Says The Chief.

       Dean's phone rings. "Excuse me. Hello?" He asks.

       "Agent Borne? It's Melanie Golden."

       "Everything okay?" Dean asks.

       "Did you mean it when you said you had an open mind?"

MELANIE'S HOUSE
[ ☼ ]

        Melanie is holding a landline phone. "I hadn't checked it until today. I mean, the only person who ever called my landline was my grandma."

       "That's okay. Go on." Sam says.

       "Look, I wouldn't put any stock in it. I mean, she was always calling me with some crazy dream she was sure was a sign, that kind of thing, but...uh, is it true Nikolai had a real vision of his death?"

       "That's what we were told." Dean says.

       "Well, so did she—the day she died." Melanie says.

       "What'd she say?" Dean asks.

        "Well, you can listen to it if you want. She said she was in a séance, then the lights go, it's freezing."

        "Wait, she said that? That the room got cold?" Sam asks.

       "Yeah. Why? Is that important?" Melanie asks as Sam and Dean look at each other. "What? What is it?"

       "A ghost. The real deal." Elena says.

       "Come on. You're serious."

       "Yeah. See, there's, uh, fake whoo-whoo crap, and there's real whoo-whoo crap." Dean says.

        "Well, yeah, but... ghosts?"

        "Oh, trust me. There's a lot weirder out there than that." Says Dean.

       "So 'The X-files' is real, or you just stopped talking like an FBI agent." Melanie says.

       "Well, um... we're not FBI agents." Sam says.