Chapter Twenty-four

I go to the door leaving Taylor blushing on the couch. As I put my hand on the doorknob I turn my head to Taylor. She is holding her laugh so badly and now I want to laugh too but I keep it together.

"It's almost 1 o'clock in the morning. What are you doing here?" I say when I see Summer standing in front of me.

"I called you. Like, 10 times... You didn't pick up and Hayley said you were working until late. So I just came by and your car was outside. And now I'm here." What the f*ck?

"Why? What do you want?" I ask her angrily.

"I need to talk to you. Code red important..." She says with a serious face.

"Sure. Come in." I say laughing in my head. She is going to freak out when she sees Taylor.

"You are friends again?" I hear Summer say when I close the door.

"There is no reason for us not to be friends." Taylor says.

"So, you told her." Summer says almost crying.

"I had to."

"You are my best friend and you just"

I interrupt Summer.

"And you were supposed to be her best friend but you didn't care that she was hurt. Right. Don't go with the best friend talk." I say angrily. "What do you want to talk about?"

"What about Bradley? Are you together now?" Summer asks looking lost.

"You know Bradley and me are nothing in a long time. And we are not together, no." Taylor says straightforward looking pissed.

"Summer, what do you need to talk with me?" I ask again.

"It was about Blake and me... About what happened. But you already know. I want to apologize. We were getting close again this week"

I look at Taylor. She seems so sad and hurt right now. I can't let her think stuff that wouldn't happen. I interrupt.

"Listen, we were getting close but not the close you want to believe. Summer, I told you, I'm done. I don't want anything with you. Not anymore. I'm sorry but you have to understand that." Summer starts to cry and I feel the need to hug her. "Don't cry. Everything is fine... But I can't do it anymore."

"I need to go." She says pushing me away.

"I can take you home." I say warned by her instability.

"No. I'll be fine." She says slaming the door behind her.

I sit beside Taylor and she just stares at me.

"You are worried." She says.

"I am. I don't want her to make anything stupid." I say looking in Taylor's blue eyes.

"She'll be fine." She says hugging me. I kiss the crook of her neck and I feel like my whole body was melting. "If you want, go after her. It's okay."

"What? Really?" I say looking in her eyes.

"Sure. Go..." She says looking to her hands on her lap.