Chapter Five

SUMMER

"Why would you have anything to do with Mariana breaking up with Sophie, Summer?" I hear Taylor say and I turn around facing her.

"Mariana broke up with Sophie?" What? Is it because we kissed?

"Yes, she did. In front of me and Brad. Sophie asked her if it was because of you... Why would she think that?"

"I have no idea... Mariana doesn't love her, maybe that's why."

She goes ballistic.

"She doesn't love her today but a few days ago they started dating again... I'm going to have a little chat with that girl Mariana!"

"Shush!! We can't be here! And you are not going to have any chat with no Mariana!" I grab her arm and close the door when she tries to leave the class. "Sophie knows it, okay? Sophie knows that Mariana doesn't love her but still pushed it to the limit and made Mariana do all of this. She's tired of Sophie lack of control and trust and problably that's why she broke it off. Calm down now!" I explain even though I shouldn't have.

"How do you know this whole thing?"

"Mariana told me yesterday after the party..." Crap... Why can't I lie to her?

"Blake was going crazy looking for you! Wait. What? What were you doing with her after the party?"

"Apparently Mariana was talking to her cousin and Sophie went crazy 'cause she thought that Mariana was cheating and she left the party. Sophie had her car keys and she walked home but halfway there I gave her a ride..." Please, don't ask anything else...

"And...?" She seems excited, why though?

"And I went to her house, she made us some amazing chicken sandwiches and when I tried to go home, my car didn't start and I had to stay with her." I explain. I don't know what to say about the kiss... Should I tell her?

"But not the whole night... Mariana came on foot today and you came on a jeep. You don't own a jeep..,"

"How do you even notice those things?" I'm quite shocked actually.

"Tell me the truth, I'm waiting..."

"Why do you think I would lie?" I ask.

"Because you are trying to avoid talking about this." She explains and she is right.

"Okay, I'll tell you everything but you will keep your mouth shut. Promise me. I don't even know what to think about all of this, so" As I stutter, she interrupts me.

"Promise, Summer."

"Okay... So I went back to her house after my car failing on me. I was freazing and she gave me a blanket... I tried to call my parents but they didn't answer so I texted them and I waited... She sat in the couch with me and we share the blanket... We talked for more than an hour about music and movies...Surf and stuff..." Taylor interrupts me.

"Stuff?" She looks curious.

"Things... What happened to her and her family. It's personal..."

She nods with a funny face.

"Uh... Personal. Keep going..."

"Right! Then Sophie knocked and she saw me there and she got really mad... Mariana asked for her car keys and kicked her out. She got nervous and she was about to cry and I hugged her."

"And?"

"And I might have kissed her... And then I pushed her and I left and she came to me running to give me her car keys."

She looks mad and happy and... I have no idea!

"Say something..."

"I'm really mad at you."

"Because of Blake?" I know I messed up.

"And I think I already knew she kinda liked you..."

"What do you mean?" Is she serious? Mariana likes me? That's not even possible...

"But mostly because you treated her like crap today. You kissed her and then you treat her like that? Why did you did that? Seriously..."

She starts walking back and forward... I thought she would be mad because I kinda cheated on Blake. This girls surprises me everyday.

Bell rings.

"We have to go." I say.

"Talk to her. Apologize." She is actually really mad... Maybe she is right. I should apologize. What will I say after kissing her and pushing her? And running away like that...

MARIANA

Classes are over and Summer has been avoiding me all day. Everytime she sees me, she turns the other way around.
Fine... Whatever, but I need my car keys anyway. I'll go find her.

I call Taylor.

"What's going on?" She answers.

"Don't say my name, please. Are you with Summer?" Don't screw me over, Taylor. You're alright, don't make me not like you.

"Yes, Mariana." Nice... "She is right here. Do you want to talk with her?"

I hear Summer say in the back "Don't do that, please!"

"Look, just tell her I need my keys, okay? Where are you?" I say a bit sad to be honest.

"Watching football practice."

"Be there in 5." I say.

As I get there, I see them sitting next to each other laughing while Taylor does some kind of dance.

"Do you have my keys?" I say as I get close to them.

"Hi to you too..." Says Taylor. I force myself to smile. "I need to go... to the... to my locker. I forgot my phone there." And she just leave.

"She is not getting her phone." Says Summer staring at the football fields while they run around.

"My keys, Summer." I say trying to show her that I didn't even notice she's avoiding me, that I care about this as much as she does. But I want to leave now.

She takes the keys from her bag and hands them to me. In a second she grabs my hand and pulls me closer to sit next to her. And I just stay there just because my legs have no strength to get back up.

"We need to talk. Don't we?" She says. I look at her and she's looking right through me. I feel like falling...

"Forget it, okay? Forget about this morning, the kiss, the sandwich... Everything." I hate her.

"I don't want to forget anything. I just want to apologize." She seems confused.

"I don't get you. I really don't." I feel my blood start to boil. I get my strength back to get up from the bench."You let that douche talk to you the way he does and just because I was sick of hearing his voice you jump on me like that! I don't know why you're with him! He doesn't care about you..." Shut up now! "I have to go."

"Mariana!! Wait!!" I hear her yell but I must go or I'll make everything worse. I can't fall for this girl.