Chapter 1.3: Apples

Start from the beginning

"I will think of something before we leave this town, Ari," Freir said.

Continuing past the town's encircling gates, they walked further. The air filled with the fragrances of fresh fruits and perfumes. Ari turned, catching sight of the demon snagging an apple from a stand. Before paying, the demon took a bite, indifferent to the protests of the seller.

"Pay for it now!" the seller demanded.

Heads turned as the ruckus unfolded, drawing attention to them. Freir tossed some coins to the seller and continued walking as the commotion settled. The demon, a genuine menace, strode ahead, parting the busy streets.

A chill ran through Ari as they entered the innermost part of the town. Darkness had fallen, and not a single soul lingered around. His grip tightened around Freir's neck, silently conveying the words he could not speak aloud. Something felt off. A dense fog swirled through the air like formless specters, thickening as they advanced. The only sounds Ari discerned were their footsteps and the unsettling caws of unseen crows.

"Ari," Freir said. Ari peered into the fog, unable to see his hand in front of his face. "Where has the demon gone?"

Ari's heart plunged to the pits of his stomach. Had it led them into a trap? They moved through the mist, creeping into towns like silent predators. As night descended, they wandered the streets. Any door unblessed would be breached by the vicious creatures—demons known as xems.

"Do you have your blade or daggers?" Ari murmured.

"A couple daggers," Freir whispered.

"Hand me one."

Tip-tap. Tip-tap.

Padded footsteps scurried across the loose cobblestone streets. They chittered and pranced around them. Ari searched around for looming figures, but there was nothing to be found aside from an obscure inn sign. If they could make it inside, they would be safe.

"Do you see that sign, Freir? We must make it there."

As Freir nodded against him, Ari released his grip, relying more on his injured leg. The growls grew closer, and the footsteps quickened. He gripped the hilt of the dagger and crouched in anticipation.

The creatures swarmed, their presence felt though unseen. Clucking and chittering, they circled them, dancing. Soon, the air filled with their high-pitched laughter. Ari clenched his blade tighter, preparing for the imminent fight.

One lunged from above as another came and tried to pull his feet from under him. Ari sidestepped and ducked. He rolled and pinned one of the fleshy creatures down. It struggled and lashed against him. Ari slid his blade across its neck, turning its laughter into screeches then silence.

Ari stood and made his way toward the inn. He leaped over one creature hunched on the ground and shoved another aside. Just as he neared the door, Freir shouted. Something was being dragged back into the dense fog. He refused to abandon Freir. Despite his injured leg, he suppressed the pain and scanned the mist for Freir. In a momentary break in the fog, Ari saw Freir with a dagger stuck in one of the xem's mouths, the creature inching closer to his neck.

"Freir, roll!" Ari plunged the dagger into the side of its head and tackled another one threatening to jump on Freir's back.

"Head to the door!" Ari said. He had his hand wrapped around the xem's throat while reaching for the dagger still lodged in the other's head.

A dagger went through the back of its skull. Freir helped him up, carrying the rest of his weight, toggling the doorknob before he shook it with a fervor.