17. Awkward Silence

Somewhat of a filler. Drama in the next few chapters so it's bubbling up to it. ENJOY. Vote/comment/fan.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Carter's POV:

"Well... How'd things go with Craig?" Ronnie asked, scratching the back of his head awkwardly.

"Not good, or good-ish. I'm not sure?" I said also scratching my head. I'm sure we looked like idiots.

Ronnie chuckled before asking "Let's start off with an easier question. What happened?"

"Well aren't you nosey." I said finally relaxing a bit. Not much, but a bit.

"Kind of. I'm sure it'll be the talk of the house tonight anyway, so why not get you side of the story?" He looked at me expectantly. I rolled my eyes and answred slowly

"Craig told me he liked me..." My voice trailed off as I looked up at Ronnie in his big brown eyes.

"And..." He said nugding me to finish the story.

"He kissed me." I said quickly looking at the floor not wanting to see his reaction. But there wasn't one. Silence filled the room....  For a very long time. I took my chances and stole a glance at Ronnie. He was scratching the back of his head again looking around the room searching for something to say.

"Oh, and do you like him?" He finally asked after what seemed to be an eternity, but in all it was probably 5 minutes. Still very, very awkward.

"That's the problem, I'm not sure. I think I might but there's someone else too..." Oh shit! I mentally face-palmed myself. I looked at Ronnie who seemed stunned for a moment but then he spoke

"I see. May I ask who this person is?" He looked down at me with what I swear was a smirk before it and any signs it was ever ven ther dissapeared.

"No." I said curtly trying to change the subject.

"Ah. I see. It's fine, keep playing high-school crush. But you remember what happened in highschool right?" He asked smirking that oh-so-famous smirk.

"What??" I asked slow and cautiously, not having the slightest idea what he might say next.

"No matter how hard you try to keep a secret, it always gets out." He smirked at me once again. I just stared up at him knowing he was right. I was glad that he might figure out my feelings but at the same time extremely frightened that he may not feel the same. And what about Craig? I had to make a descision. And soon. I was so lost in my thoughts I forgot to reply to Ronnie.

"I always hated that about school." I said with a smile. That was smart. Note sarcasm.

"It was one of my favorite things, mainly because I had no secrets and those of others intrigued me." Ronnie answered bluntly.

"So you were one of those gossipers eh?" I asked gladly changing the subject.

"I guess you could say that. But I know how you youngin's are." He said muffling my hair.

"Stop that!! And I'm not that young." I said pushing his hand away from my hair.

"Riiight." He said nodding his head in disbelief.

"Whatever. Now get out! I have stuff to do before the party!" I said checking the time. It was already 11, where did all th time go?

"Can I be of any service?" He asked "I've got nothing to do until 7." I thought for a second and then nodded in approval.

"Sure, but go put on some normal clothes!" I said pushing him off my bed and towards the door.

"But whyy? I wanna go in my pajamas!" He said whining like a little kid. I laughed at him and shoved him out my door saying

"I'm sure people would enjoy seeing that. But let's try not to draw too much attention to ourselves shall we?" And with that I smiled and shut my door in his face. I could here him groan from the other side but he went to his room all the same. I smiled to myself and grabbed my phone, iPod, headphones, and purse before heading downstairs. I regretted that as soon as I did it because low-and-behold guess who was sitting down there on the couch watching Jacen and Monte paint over the wall? That's right. Craig.

"Hey you." I said a little too casually. He noticed and looked up at me confused,

"Uh, hey? Can we talk?" He asked

"I'd love to but Ronnie and I have some errands to run. So when he comes down can you send him out to the car? Kay,thanks,bye." I said quickly grabbing my keys off of the coffee table and bolting to the front door. Once I was safely in my car my breathing slowed a bit and my heart resumed it's normal pace. Why was I so nervous all of the sudden? My thoughts were interupted as Ronnie jumped in the front seat of my car, now wearing normal-people clothes. I laughed at his fast changing and started the car.

"So how'd that conversation go with Craigifer?" Ronnie asked breaking the comfortable silence as a went down the freeway.

"There wasn't one. I told him I had to go and bolted out the front door like a coward." I laughed and he joined in.

Now you see? This is why I love Ronnie. He's comfortable to be around.

Wait. Love?