25. Going Home and Getting Help

Carter's POV:

Help. Yeah, help. That word gets friendlier and friendlier everytime I hear it. Help is friendly. Help is healthy. Help is help. Help will save me. Help will save Max. Yes, I have decided to want help. If I want it, I'll get it. I want Max to want help. I want him to see how much we both need it. Help will get me my Ronnie back. So, it's definite. I'm getting help. But in this house? No way. Not with all the partying that goes down. A perfect place to return to old ways, don't ya think? Yeah, I can't get help while I live here. 

Mom. 

as much as I hate to say it I need to go home. To my mommy. And I'm taking Max with. 

With that decision I stopped the side to side motion I'd kept up for the past two hours and crawled off my bed hitting the floor with a loud thump. 

I immediately heard footsteps racing to my door. 

"Carter, you okay?" Ronnie asked from behind the door. 

"Fine. Just fell outta bed. Come in, I need to talk to you." I said picking myself up and adjusting my hair and clothes. He opened the door slowly and said 

"What's up?" as he closed it behind him 

"I decided I want help. For my drug problem." I said awkwardly shifting from foot to foot and running my hand through my hair. 

"Good. I'm really happy for you. And I'll help you through the whole thing, I will." he said, a smile exploding on his face. Well this sucks. 

"Ronnie, I want Max to go with me." I said, still beating around the bush. 

"Okay... Go? Go where?" Damn, he caught on. 

"Home. To my mom's. We can't get lean in this house. Too many temptations. Too much partying. We'll slip up. Revert back. I know it. So we need to... Go. Leave." I said avoiding eye contact the whole time and suddenly finding my feet extremely interesting. 

"I see... Well as long as your getting help. And I mean, you'll still be in L.A. so it's not like we won't see each other." Stop it! You're making this so hard! 

"Ronnie, mom moved back to Nevada. Not Vegas though. She moved to Henderson. We won't be able to see you, or any of the guys for that matter. You guys will be starting tour in a month or so, and we can't go. I've talked to mom already. And the band. It's just, it's the best for Max and I right now. I'm sorry." I finally stopped fidgeting and looked him in the eye. He looked sad, but he understood. 

"It's okay, Carter. I love you. So nothing else truly matters I guess. Distance makes the heart grow fonder? Just, promise me something." 

"Anything." 

"Don't move on, or forget about me. Call me. Text me. Write letters if you have to. Just, talk to me. Let me know how you're doing. And I'll do my best to come see you." he offered a warm smile and I returned it. He leaned in and pecked my lips. I smiled at his cuteness.  

"So when are you leaving?" he asked not leaving after the kiss for once. YAY! We're making progress. 

"Three days." I told him sadly. Mom was impatient. And I wanted to get clean as soon as possible. 

"That's it?" he asked in the same said tone I'd used.  

"Yeah. It sucks I know." 

"well, we have three days. Lets spend them together." he offered his arm to me and I took it, skipping out my room together for 3 days of fun. My last 3 days with Ronnie. 

*****3 days of movies, games, dinner, and randomness later 

"Call us every chance you get." Craig said, hugging me close. Robert and Monte walked from where they were stuffing our bags in the cab to where Max and I were standing. They hugged us and said their goodbyes. Ronnie bro-hugged Max and walked over to me with a sad smirk. It was adorable and heartbreaking at the same time. The things this man could do amazes me. 

"Bye my love." he said in a ridiculous accent. 

"Goodbye my dork." I said in the same dumb accent. He smiled and hugged me close, whispering in my ear 

"I love you. And never forget that. I may not actually be there, but I'm always there." I giggled at his wording but nodded my head understanding what he meant. 

"I love you too. Don't fall for some groupie while I'm away." I added with a small laugh, but still being completely serious. 

"Promise. You're the only girl for me Carter Jayden." I smiled, loving when he used my full name. I pulled back slightly and kissed his lips letting all that I ouldnt say poor into that kiss. I pulled away and hugged him once more before turning to the car. He stopped me by pulling on my sleeve I turned around to see him on one knee. What the ... 

"Here's a ring. No, not an engagement ring. A promise ring. A ring that I bellieve says, maybe, one day, eventually. But it also lets you know that I'm committed. I have one too." DAWWWW. So cute! 

"DAWW. SO CUTE!" oops, that was supposed to stay in my head. Everyone laughed a 

(Jacen being the loudest) and Ronnie beamed happiness standing and placing the ring over my finger. 

"Bye Ronald. See you soon." I waved at him and the others before climbing into the cab. Max got in a second later. The driver pulled out the driveway and onto the road, headed for the airport.  

Max and I barely said a word the whole ride. We wer both caught up in our own thoughts. 

"Do you think Jacen would cheat on me?" Max asked randomly as we headed for our gate. 

"What? No. Of course not. She loves you." I answered his question taking me off guard. 

"That's what they said about Lexus last time I went to rehab...." he trailed off. I nodded catching on to what he was saying. 

"Well Jacen certainly is no Lexus. She's kind, loving, sweet, and she'd never do that to you." he nodded and smiled before wrapping an arm around my shoulders 

"You know, you take care of me the way I should take care of you. We need to work on this." we laughed and agreed with one another. We put our baggage away on the plane and buckled up. 

**** a boring long ass flight and a 45 minutes drive later 

There it is.  

Mom's house. 

My new beginning. 

Only if I can survive the creature standing at the door. 

My mother. 

"This is for Ronnie." I repeated over and over in my head as I took my first brave step towards the house, bags in hand and my brother at my side.