How I Became Mrs. Watts (54)

CHAPTER 54

The wedding was coming on fast. We sent invitations to my family and friends, and Andrew's family and friends. I even convinced Andrew to invite Charlotte's family, mostly because I liked Grace so much. He agreed to that, once I reasoned with him.

That was months ago. It is now the night before the wedding. I have to say that I am very nervous. I snuck down to Andrew's room, against all protests from my mother and sister, who were staying with us. I didn't care about the supposed bad luck that came, I just knew I had to see Andrew. If I didn't see him now I might be tempted to run off, or something crazy like that.

I felt my way down the hall in the dark and came to Andrew's door. I knocked quietly. Andrew answered right away. “I didn't wake you, did I?” I asked.

“No,” he said, “I couldn't sleep.”

“Me neither,” I said.

“Well, come in then.”

We sat down on his bed. We sat in silence for a few moments.

“You're scared, aren't you?” he asked me.

“Yes,” I admitted in a whisper.

“I was too, but I can say that it gets easier the second time,” he said with a small laugh.

“That's not very comforting,” I said, but I laughed too.

“I have something for you,” he said, pulling out a notebook. “I was going to save it as a wedding present, but I think you need it more now.”

He handed it over and I opened the first page. “It's a fairy tale, of sorts,” he said.

It was his story, I noticed. “If you can let me read yours, you can read mine,” I said. I handed him the story I had been working on for over a year now, How I Became Mrs. Watts.

He was very surprised, “Are you sure?”

“Well, yeah, since it's going to be true soon,” I laughed. He smiled, and I could tell he was really grateful.

We began reading the stories at the same time. Andrew's was so much shorter than mine, but I didn't mind. His story went like this:

Once upon a time, something happened, something grand. A boy by the name of Andrew met a girl by the name of Charlotte. The boy fell in love right away, and the girl did too.

The two of them got married and had a son, but something happened, something tragic this time. The girl died and the boy was left alone.

The boy was a teacher at this time and he threw his life into his work, doing the horrible thing of ignoring his son, because the son reminded the boy too much of the girl.

Another girl came along, by the name of Ella. The boy thought he was being punished for the last words he said to his wife when he met Ella. The girl reminded him too much of his wife.

The boy fell in love with the other girl, much more quickly than he did before. It seemed that the girl liked him too. The boy pushed his love away because he knew that bad things would happen to him if they were found out. He felt awful hurting the girl like that, but he hurt himself just as much. His heart was broken in half and the girl had the other half, whether she knew it or not.

The girl, being as stubborn as she was, came back and demanded that the boy at least talk to her. The boy didn't show it, but that was the happiest that he had ever been.

The boy began courting the girl and she moved in to his house. She taught him to cook, because the boy couldn't even manage to make toast properly. I guess you could say the girl saved him from starvation.

The girl made the boy open up and she brought his son back into his life. The boy became a much better person because of the girl. The boy knew that he loved the girl.

The boy and girl solved all kinds of problems and predicaments, because they were a great team.

When the boy met the girl's family, he was very much afraid. The girl wanted her family to be impressed by the boy, but the boy felt that lying to the girl's family was a fate worse than death. He was completely honest with her father, who frightened him, and probably shortened his life by quite a few years from the fear.

The girl's father liked the boy because of his honesty. The girl was very pleased.

Finally the boy decided that he was ready to marry again. He asked the girl, though he was terrified she would turn him down. The girl didn't and he was the happiest he was ever been in his entire life. He couldn't wait until they shared a last name and the girl would be his forever.

I laughed at many parts in his story and I cried as well. I was so very thankful that he had let me read it, because I was now absolutely positive that I wanted to marry him. “Thank you, Andrew,” I whispered, kissing his cheek. He was still deep into my story and didn't seem to notice. I smiled and fell asleep next to him.