How I Became Mrs. Watts (33)

CHAPTER 33

“Andrew?” I asked. We were just a few minutes from home now. Yeah, I've been thinking of his house as home.

“Hm?” he asked. My heart started beating fast and it was loud. I wasn't sure if he could hear it, but I wouldn't be surprised if he could.

I panicked and asked, “What time is it?”

He looked quickly at his watch, “9:30.”

“Oh, thanks.” I wasn't at all sure what I was going to ask, or tell him. My mind was all fuzzy and I found it hard to concentrate all of a sudden. I found the darkness that was invading to be suffocating. It was really hard to breathe. I felt dizzy, and, suddenly, the darkness overwhelmed and won.

“Ella! Ella! Ella?” I heard Andrew yell. My eyes fluttered open slowly. “Oh thank goodness!”

I looked out the window and noticed we were pulled over on the side of the road. I could see the house off in the distance. I took a deep breath. I was very disoriented and didn't really know what to think. This was not the first time this has happened to me though. Whenever I got really stressed out, I just passed out. It was very random and it freaked a lot of people out. Andrew was staring at me with the same reaction that everyone else had when I did this, except there was more concern on his face. I think that was the right word for it. I said, “It's okay, this happens whenever I get really stressed. There's nothing to worry about, really. I'm fine.”

He didn't seem to be believing me, but he pulled the car from the side of the road and drove to the driveway in front of the house. We continued sitting there in silence. He was thinking hard about something, and I didn't want to bother him. Finally he got out of the car and I opened my door and got out as well.

He went directly to his bedroom, without saying another word. I thanked Grace for watching Oliver and offered for her to stay the night. She politely declined the offer and said she had to be heading home. “But, what did you do to him, Ella?” she asked of me.

“What do you mean?” I asked.

“I mean, I've never seen him like that before. He's really worried about you.”

“Should, should I go after him and talk to him?”

“No, I don't think so. I think he needs some time to himself. And tomorrow don't talk about it unless he brings it up.” She gave me a hug and dragged a very tired Caroline out the door. I watched her leave. I was very grateful for Grace, so grateful, in fact, that I had begun to think of her as a sister.

I took a quick look around the room. The kitchen and living room (I could see it from the kitchen thanks to a window in the wall) were completely spotless. Grace must be a neat freak, I thought. I looked at Oliver sleeping peacefully on a blanket on the floor. I gently picked him and carried him to his nursery. I placed him in the crib and kissed his forehead. “Sweet dreams, Oliver,” I whispered to him before tiptoeing out and quietly closing the door.

***The Next Morning (Saturday)***

I got up early and decided to surprise Andrew with making him breakfast. I wanted to show him how edible food was made. Just the thought of that made me smile.

I threw some eggs on the frying pan and went to get the cheese. Andrew came in the room then and sat down at the table. “Take notes, Andrew. This is how cooking is done,” I said with a laugh. He shook his head and smiled at me. I finished a perfect omelet, if I do say so myself. “Now you try,” I told Andrew. He gave me a look that said, 'You're kidding, right?' “Come on, you can do this,” I said.

“Okay, I trust you,” he sighed. He moved over and took the pan from me after he finished washing his hands. He took an egg and I instructed him on how to break it. He followed my directions and the egg landed directly in the pan, just like it was supposed to. He added cheese and waited for the egg to be done,

“Notice the temperature,” I said, “It's almost on low. That might've been more than half your problem.”

“Yeah, I don't really have the patience for cooking.”

“Nonsense! I'll teach you.” We waited together and I told Andrew to check the bottom of the egg. He did and I then told him it was time to flip because it was a nice light brown color. We waited another few minutes and I instructed for him to flip it onto a plate. He did and the egg came out just as perfectly as mine had. “See? You can cook!” I said with a smile.

“It's just that we make a great team,” he matched my smile.

“We do,” my smile grew bigger. He leaned down and kissed me with so much passion. I would've stepped away if it was anyone but Andrew that I was kissing. Oliver let out a cry then. I pulled away and started running to Oliver's room. “I got it!” I yelled to Andrew.

“Okay, you do that!” I could hear him yell back. I smiled, as I realized that I could stay here forever. This was like heaven on earth to me.