How I Became Mrs. Watts (12)

CHAPTER 12

***Sunday***

There was no note left for me this week. Andrew was sitting at his desk. “You aren't ready yet?” I teased.

“No, I thought I'd make you wait today,” he exclaimed with a smile on his face.

“Make me wait...so that both of us can be late?”

“Precisely,” he looked up at me now. I rolled my eyes.

“Let's go, Professor,” I said sarcastically. I pulled on his sleeve until he was standing with me.

“Why was that sarcastic? I am a professor.” He was almost full out laughing by now, but he was doing a good job of holding it in.

“Yeah, whatever. Let's just go.”

“Mm, kay,” he pretended to think about it for a while.

We got in the car and drove to the beautiful church. I went to turn on the radio, to my favorite station, but I realized it was already on that station. I looked to Andrew with a question in my eyes. “You got me addicted to this station,” he said simply.

“Oh, okay,” I nodded. It made sense.

The organist announced, “Please turn to number 414, Your Words Are Spirit And Life to join us in our entrance hymn. Your Words Are Spirit And Life, number 414.” We all turned to the correct page.

“Your words are spirit and life, O Lord:

Richer than gold, stronger than death.

Your words are spirit and life, O Lord;

Life everlasting.

God's law is perfect,

Refreshing the soul,

Reviving the weary spirit.

God's rule can be trusted:

Bringing us wisdom,

Bringing God's wisdom to birth.

Your words are spirit and life, O Lord:

Richer than gold, stronger than death.

Your words are spirit and life, O Lord;

Life everlasting.

God's precepts keep us;

Their purpose is right.

They gladden the hearts of people.

God's command is so clear it

Brings us new vision;

Bringing God's light to our eyes.

Your words are spirit and life, O Lord:

Richer than gold, stronger than death.

Your words are spirit and life, O Lord;

Life everlasting.

Living by God's truth

Is holy and sure;

God's presence is everlasting.

God's truth is eternal,

Bringing us justice;

Bringing God's justice to earth.

Your words are spirit and life, O Lord:

Richer than gold, stronger than death.

Your words are spirit and life, O Lord;

Life everlasting.

God's word is precious,

Desired more than gold;

Worth more than we dare imagine

And, sweeter than honey,

This word will feed us,

Bringing fulfillment and joy.

Your words are spirit and life, O Lord:

Richer than gold, stronger than death.

Your words are spirit and life, O Lord;

Life everlasting.” I smiled as I sang, because this happened to be my second favorite hymn. I really loved this church. I was getting over my fear of Andrew hearing me sing, and a lot faster than I had expected too.

***After Mass***

Andrew started driving us East. I was confused because the college was South of here. “Where are we going?” I asked.

He smiled crazily at me. I couldn't help but laugh. “I thought you'd like to meet Oliver,” he said.

“Really?” I asked. He nodded and smiled wide. I couldn't believe he trusted me enough to meet his son. I was bursting with joy, but he only saw less than half of my true feelings.

We were soon at a daycare. We got out of the car and went inside. “Hello, Mr. Watts. You're a little early today. I'll just get Oliver and you can go ahead and sign him out,” a girl not much older than me, who I assumed was a teacher, said.

“Okay, thank you,” Andrew said. He proceeded to sign his son out. The girl came back with Oliver shortly after.

“Aw, how cute!” I said.

He was sitting in Andrew's arms now, but he was offered out to me. I took him and they both smiled. “I'll see you tomorrow, Oliver!” the teacher exclaimed.

We walked out to the car and Andrew held the door open for me. He opened the trunk of his car and pulled the car seat out. He opened the back door of the car and hooked up the seat. He took Oliver from me and fastened him in his seat. We both got in our seats. “He likes you, you know,” Andrew said to me, and then to his son, “Don't you, Oliver?” He smiled. Oliver smiled back at his daddy. It was so cute that I had to smile too. “Do you have any plans today, Ella?”

“Nope,” I said.

“Good,” he said.

I thought more was coming so I said, “Okay...?”

He smiled, knowing that it was annoying for him to keep a secret from me. I was getting frustrated, but he kept right on smiling. That just made everything worse.

“Please tell me,” I said smiling sweetly. It felt sickly sweet, but as I looked over at Andrew, I knew it had worked. He was stunned.

“My place,” he said in a daze.

“We're going to your place?” I asked. This day was getting better and better. Andrew mistook my question for a bad thing.

“Did you not want to-did you want to just go back to school?” he asked. I could tell he was a little hurt by that.

“No, no,” I assured him, “I was just surprised. That's all.”

“Oh. Okay.” He was back to being happy.

We continued to drive, and, ten minutes later, we came to a stop in front of a beautiful little yellow house. Andrew pulled in to the driveway and we got out. “I've always wanted a house like this,” I said, “With a little garden and a swing overlooking it out back.” Andrew was smiling like crazy as he got Oliver out.

“You're more alike than I thought,” he muttered, mostly to himself.

“What?” I asked.

“Come on, let me show you something,” he told me. I followed him to the backyard and I gasped as I saw the exact vision I had planted in my mind just moments earlier. This was my dream house, and with Andrew and little Oliver here, this was my dream life.