How I Became Mrs. Watts (30)

CHAPTER 30

When I got to the kitchen, everything was a disaster. “Whoa,” I said, “What happened here?”

“This is me trying to cook something,” Andrew laughed nervously. “I don't think I'm going to try that again.

“Okay,” I said, “So what did you make?”

He shook his head, “Not yet. Sit down first.” He pulled out a chair for me and took Oliver from my arms at the same time. I sat down and he pushed my chair up to the table.

“Why thank you,” I said politely.

He smiled at me and brought a covered dish to the table. He unwrapped it slowly and said, “Voila!”

“You speak French, now do you?” I teased.

“Of course!” he said with a sly smile.

Finally, I had a chance to look at the meal on the table. It looked like it was supposed to be scrambled eggs, but they were severely overcooked. I suppressed the urge to laugh. It was the worst attempt at cooking that I had ever seen. Andrew sat down then and motioned for me to try some of the food.

I cautiously scooped some onto my plate, so as not to hurt his feelings. After saying prayers, we took a bite at the same time. They were very dry and altogether quite awful. Thank goodness Andrew laughed first.

“Okay, these are terrible!” he exclaimed.

“Kind of,” I nodded just a little.

“Well, I tried,” he said. We both put our forks down and shoved our plates away. “I really can't cook anything.”

“So why try?” I asked.

“Is that you volunteering to do the cooking?” he asked mischievously.

“Sure,” I said, “Because I actually can cook.” I laughed.

“Hey!” Andrew said. “Are you implying that I can't?”

“ I'm just repeating what you said yourself,” I said.

“You sneaky little thing!”

“What's your point?” I grinned. “Because I'm pretty sure there's no point here.”

He waved me away with his hand. “So, what are we going to eat?” I asked.

“Well, I believe I promised you a movie, and I've already arranged for Grace to come over and watch Oliver,” he said.

“Is this, is this like a date then?” I asked.

“Only if you want it to be,” he said. This was another of those “aw” moments.

“That's a yes, then.”

Andrew's smile at that was the biggest I've ever seen. I loved being able to make him so happy.

As if on cue, the doorbell rang. Andrew got it and guess who it was. Grace, of course! She walked in with Caroline and looked at the mess in the kitchen. “Andrew, have you been trying to cook again?” she scolded. Caroline giggled.

“Maybe,” he said sheepishly. It was so cute. He snapped out of it though, and said, “Well, we're going to see a movie and we're going out to dinner as well. Oliver hasn't had any food, so maybe you could take care of that? And about the mess...” He was definitely rambling. Why was he so nervous all of a sudden? I wondered.

“Don't worry about it, Andrew,” Grace said.

“Thank you,” he was halfway out the door and expecting me to follow.

Grace stopped me when he was out of earshot and whispered, “He really likes you. He doesn't cook for everyone. It even took him three years to cook for Charlotte. I know it doesn't seem like it, but he's trying to impress you.” She smiled as I stumbled out the door, shocked by her words.

I made it to the car without tripping, by some miracle. I closed the door behind me. “She said something about me, didn't she?” Andrew asked.

“Yes,” I said, “How did you know?”

“That's what she always does. What did she say this time?” he wasn't judging or being cruel, he was just stating what he knew to be a fact.

“She said that you were trying to impress me,” I said, finally meeting his eyes. “Is that true?”

“Yeah, it's true,” he sighed. He paused, “Charlotte always told me I needed to live a little. I never understood what that meant. Before now.”

“What?” I didn't get a chance to finish my question because he kissed me. Of course I kissed him back. I would be a fool if I didn't.

“Ew!” I heard. We broke away and I looked around. I saw Caroline staring at us with a disgusted face. I then heard laughter and saw her mother standing in the doorway to the house. My cheeks turned red.

“Drive, now!” I told Andrew, “Please!”

“Aw!” he said. We were finally leaving the driveway to his house and on our way to our date, our first date. I began to get nervous as I thought about it. First dates mean everything, I thought, What if he suddenly decides he doesn't like me? I couldn't believe I was becoming paranoid right then because I had never been before, but it would cost me everything if I lost Andrew and Oliver.