How I Became Mrs. Watts (35)

CHAPTER 35

“Ethan!” I knocked on his door so fast that I almost passed out because I didn't have the time to breathe.

“Care to explain why you're knocking all of a sudden?” he asked. He raised his eyebrows at me.

“No,” I said plainly. He wasn't being very nice to me, so I wasn't going to be all that nice to him.

“Whatever. I suppose you're here for your final.” He handed it to me after I nodded. I had gotten a solid A on it. Thank you, Sara, I thought. “Oh, your sister broke up with me,” he said. I could have sworn I heard him snarl at me.

“Uh oh,” I said, running as fast as I could to the door. It didn't work because he beat me there and closed it. He stood in front of it, blocking my only way out.

“So, how is Andrew?” he asked.

I swallowed, “Fine.”

“Good.” I just stared at him wondering where he was going with this. He smiled cruelly. Uh oh, I thought, this is just getting worse.

“I can just go right now and tell my boss about your little relationship,” he said.

“Wh-why would you do that?” I asked.

“You don't have any idea, do you?” he asked.

“No,” I shook my head.

“You don't have any idea what you're doing, what you're making him do. It's like you don't even care.”

“Ethan, I have no idea what you're talking about!”

He suddenly got closer to me. He was way too close for my liking. “It's illegal for a teacher to date his or her student,” he told me.

“What-what does that mean?” I refused to let it sink in too soon, in case what he was telling me wasn't true, or that he meant something else by telling me that.

“It means, my dear, that you could cause your precious Andrew to lose his job.” My eyes grew wide. I was absolutely horrified.

“No, no, no! Please, Ethan, you don't really want to do this!” I pleaded.

“Yes, yes, I do,” he said.

“No, no, you don't! What do you want from me, Ethan?” I cried.

He grinned, happy that he was making me so upset. “You're not going to give me the book, I know that. So I'm going to demand a date this time,” he said.

“But, you just said that it was illegal...”

“Ah, but you're not my student anymore, are you?”

“No, but-”

“No buts. Tomorrow at 7, meet me here, or Andrew gets fired.” That was right after my last class.

I gulped, “okay.” I knew I had to give in, for Andrew's sake.

“Good,” he said, finally letting me leave. I ran straight to Andrew. I was panting when I closed the door by leaning against it. I fell to the floor.

“Ella! What's wrong? Did you get a bad grade on your final?” Andrew was very alarmed.

“No,” I shook my head. I took a deep breath as well, “No, it's much worse than that.” I got up from the floor and went over to him. I smacked his chest lightly, “Why didn't you tell me that I could get you fired?!”

“Oh,” he said while looking down, “That.” He sighed, “Ella, it's my problem.”

“No, it's not just your problem. Not anymore, Andrew.”

He hugged me. “Oh, Ella,” he said. His fingers brushed through my hair. I felt like a child, but I didn't care. “I would do anything for you,” he continued, “I would even quit this job for you.”

“What?!” I pulled away from him. “How can you say that?!” He stared at me in a state of shock.

“Ella, I-”

“No, you will not quit. Do you hear me? And I'm not going to get you fired either.” I sat down and put my head down on the desk.

“It's okay. We'll figure this out,” he came over and began to rub my back.

“Thank you, Andrew,” I whispered.

“Come on, let's go home,” he said as he pulled me to my feet.