How I Became Mrs. Watts (6)

CHAPTER 6

They went out the classroom door and I took my time to pack up. Andrew smiled at me, “Let me escort you to your next class.”

“Sure,” I shrugged. He linked his arm with mine. We probably looked really cheesy at that moment but neither of us cared.

“Your story is brilliant, just like you,” he whispered to me.

“Thank you,” I said for the second time today. “Oh, and with what I said about Ethan earlier, don't ask him. He'll figure out you have the book that way.”

“No problems there, I really don't like talking to that guy.”

I laughed, “Who does?”

“No one!” he laughed with me. I grinned.

“Sh!” we heard from someone passing by. I pressed my lips together, trying to hide another smile.

“Sorry!” Andrew called.

“Sh!” they repeated. I was trying my hardest not to smile, but a smile was starting to break through. I quickly hid my face in my hands.

“What are you laughing at?” Andrew smiled. He moved my hands gently so that he could see my face.

“Nothing,” I said, walking into Ethan's classroom. I smiled knowing I left Andrew outside with no answers.

“What's so funny, Ella? Something you would like to share with the class?” Ethan asked me.

“No,” I said smoothly. It was smoothly too, I didn't ruin it with my not-so-graceful charm. Ethan thankfully ignored me and continued with his lecture. He never even made eye contact with me. I sighed in relief when he finally dismissed us.

“Stay, Ella,” he ordered. He said it in a voice so firm no one could argue. I sighed in defeat and stayed put after gathering my things.

“What could you possibly want this time?” I demanded after everyone had left. I was not wanting to not get reported by another student.

He smiled slyly, “You know what I want.”

“I told you, I don't have the book,” I said.

“Still?” he asked as his smile disappeared.

“Yeah, still. I won't be getting it back any time soon,” I told him, “Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to leave.” I went out the door. I was surprised to find Andrew waiting for me. “When do you ever have a class?” I asked him. We started walking down the hallway.

He looked up from the book he was reading: mine. “Not very often, anymore,” he said sadly.

“That's too bad,” I said, “Your class is my favorite.”

“Mm. This book is really good, Ella.”

“Thanks,” I said, “Where are you at?”

“Chapter five, right after Ethan said 'no' to the festival. I never knew he had that kind of side to him, he was always just a little manipulative in my mind.”

“He's horrible,” I said, “I came here to escape him, and yet, here he is.” I sighed. We were now outside. We stopped by the door.

“Where are you headed?” he asked.

“Nowhere, really,” I said.

“Come to lunch with me,” he persuaded.

“I-I don't know.”

“Oh, come on.”

“Okay,” I said, more than willing, but I would never let him see that.

“Great!” he smiled his brilliant smile towards me. That smile could make any girl jealous and any girl melt.

“You should be more careful with the book,” I said as we headed towards Andrew's car.

“Sorry,” he said, “It was just too captivating to leave behind.”

“Suck up,” I smiled.

“No, I mean that.”

“I believe you,” I said. I really did. “But you were standing right outside his lair.”

He laughed, “I'll try to be more careful next time. Happy?”

“I guess. Where are we going anyhow?” I asked.

“Cracker Barrel,” came his reply.