How I Became Mrs. Watts (53)

CHAPTER 53

We left my old home and headed to my new one. Months passed quite easily, with me going to the new college and staying with Andrew on the weekends. Life was absolutely perfect and I didn't think it could possibly get any better, that is, until one day...

I won't leave you hanging there, I promise. I was just trying for a dramatic effect. It didn't work, did it? Oh darn! Well, that's just about enough stalling. Back to the story!

It was a normal Friday. I had just come home from school, and Andrew, from work. We were relaxing on the couch, watching Oliver roll around on the carpet. I laughed, thinking of just how often we did that. Andrew suddenly jumped up from the couch and started pacing the perimeter of the room. “What'cha doing?” I asked him, feeling like Isabella from Phineas and Ferb.

“Nothing,” he said quickly, tipping me off that something was up. I just couldn't figure out what.

He followed his route one more time around the room, then he walked closer and closer to me. He hesitated, as if he was unsure of something, then his face showed determination. I was confused while I watched him. My eyes never left his though.

Slowly, as if not to startle me, he got down on one knee. He took my hands in his and rubbed them gently. His beautiful eyes left mine for a split second, then returned. “Ella,” he said. He paused, as if looking for the right words.

It seemed he found them, for he continued, “Ella, when I first met you, you reminded me so much of Charlotte. I was drawn to you because of that, but that's not why I stayed around. I realized that you really aren't anything like Charlotte, and that-gosh, this isn't any easier a second time-that's okay.”

He took a deep breath and went on, “That's perfect, actually. I love you and I know for a fact that it's you that is my soul-mate; it wasn't ever Charlotte, no matter how much I wanted it to be at the time.”

He sighed and began again, “Ella, I love you and I want to spend forever with you.”

He pulled a box out of his pocket and opened it. Inside was the most beautiful ring I've ever seen. “Will you marry me?”

I stared in absolute disbelief for a second, then came to my senses. “Of course, I will, Andrew!” I said, throwing my arms around his neck.

He looked shocked that I had actually said 'yes' to him, but only for a second. His arms wrapped around my waist and brought me in closer. I kissed his cheek lightly. He turned his head so that my lips met his. I smiled.

“Hey, Andrew?” I asked.

“Yeah?” he answered.

“What happened to neither of us being ready?” I was curious about that one, so I spoke my mind.

“That was months ago, sweetheart,” he told me.

“Oh,” I said, as if that answered everything.

Andrew answered my unspoken question, “I asked your father for his approval before we left over Christmas. He was just fine with it, and your mother was overjoyed. I haven't told my family yet.”

“Why not?” I asked, tilting my head to the side.

“Why not?” he repeated, “Because we just got engaged five minutes ago!”

I laughed, “Oh. Right.” I could feel my face heating up.

“You are really adorable when you're embarrassed,” he told me with a grin.

“Oh shut up,” I playfully hit his shoulder, then grinned.

“I don't believe that's any way to talk to your fiance,” he said, eying me warily. I knew that he was kidding though, because he winked at me, and I could see the smile in his eyes.

“Really? Because I believe he can handle a bit more than just that,” I winked at him.

He picked me up and flung me over his shoulder. “Andrew!” I gasped. I was surprised at him, for he usually didn't do this kind of thing.

“Yes?” he asked. I couldn't see his face, but I knew that it held a very amused smile.

“I amuse you, do I?” I asked him. He flipped me and set me back on my feet. He looked me in the eyes.

“More than you can ever know,” he said. I knew that he honestly thought that.

“Try me,” I said.

“We have plenty of time for that, later,” he said with a big smile.

I returned it, knowing that we had all the time in the world, to spend with each other. I loved that thought.