How I Became Mrs. Watts (15)

CHAPTER 15

***Friday***

I had every intention to barge in and demand of Andrew just who he was talking about. I was going to do it too, except he wasn't at his desk when I walked in. I put my books on my desk and my bag on the floor beside it. My notebook for Theology was on top, and on the bottom was my new story, How I Became Mrs. Watts.

I walked in circles around the room, waiting for Andrew. He walked in when I was in the back of the room. I didn't notice him until he said, “What's this?” He held my new story up. It was in the same kind of journal as my last one. “You're writing a new story?” There was no title on the cover, he wouldn't know my secret unless he opened the front. I stood petrified, unable to move. Time slowed down.

Andrew began to open the cover. “No!” I said, running to stop him, but it was too late.

How I Became Mrs. Watts,” he read the title aloud. I blushed profusely and looked at my feet. He knew about my crush on him now. I looked back up at him to see his reaction. To my surprise, he smiled at me. “Can I read this one?” he questioned.

“No!” I said. He raised an eyebrow at me. “I mean, I would rather you didn't,” I looked down. Andrew stepped closer to me and his hand tilted my chin up so that I would look at him. He leaned in. I stood still. It was like there was glue on my feet. I thought he was about to kiss me. I didn't dare breathe. The doorknob turned then, making Andrew sigh. He stepped back, placed the book on my desk, and returned to his desk. I returned to reality and sat down at my seat. Breathe, Ella, breathe, I reminded myself, for I was still holding my breath. I took a deep breath and began breathing normally as the class filtered in.

“Good morning, class,” Andrew said, “We're talking about Holy Orders today.” I wrote the title in my notes. “This sacrament deals with being a member of the 'ordained' clergy, the church's official leadership 'orders.'

“'Holy Orders is the sacrament through which the mission entrusted by Christ to his apostles continues to be exercised in the Church until the end of time: thus it is the sacrament of apostolic ministry. It includes the three degrees: episcopate, presbyterate, and diaconate.'1

“'The word order in Roman antiquity designated an established civil body, especially a governing body. Ordinatio means incorporation into an ordo. In the Church there are established bodies which Tradition, not without a basis in Sacred Scripture, has since ancient times called taxeis (Greek) or ordines.'2

“I mentioned the three degrees of order: episcopate, presbyterate, and diaconate. Let's make this a little simpler. 'From the very beginning, the three degrees of Church ministry have been called bishop, priest, and deacon. Catholic doctrine recognizes two degrees of ministerial participation in Christ's priesthood–the episcopacy and the presbyterate. The diaconate is meant to serve these two orders.'3

“'Let everyone revere the deacons as Jesus Christ, the bishop as the image of the Father and the priests as the senate of God for without them one cannot speak of the Church.'4

“Clery are remain unmarried for many reasons. First, it follows the example of Christ Himself, who promised great rewards to those who have 'given up home, brothers or sisters, father or mother, wife of children or property for my sake.'5 It allows priests to focus exclusively on serving Christ and the Church, without at the same time worrying about wives and children. They are called to a higher fatherhood and have many more 'spiritual children' than in an ordinary family. Married clergy in other religions, torn between their own families and their congregations, have expressed appreciation for the celibacy required of Catholic priests. Next, it provides space and time for serious prayer and development of a deep bond with Christ, whom the priest is called to share with the world. Fourth, it is a foreshadowing of Heaven where there will be no marriage. And lastly, it is a wonderful example of commitment and sacrifice under difficult circumstances; it gives credibility to priests who ask their people also to make great sacrifices for God.

“It is important to remember that no one is required to become a priest; that celibacy is not forced on priests but is freely chosen by them after years of training, reflection, and prayer; that celibacy is no more responsible for unfaithful priests than marriage is responsible for unfaithful husbands and wives; and that a great number of priests, Religious, and laity all over the world are today living inspiring lives of voluntary and consecrated celibacy.

“The matter of Holy Orders is the baptized man, and the form is the laying of hands on the person. Class dismissed.”

“It sounds like you want to be a priest,” I said once everyone had left.

“I'll admit I was thinking about it, and praying about it, especially after Charlotte died, but it just doesn't seem like it's for me. I'm not drawn to it, like Father Pious said he was.”

“So you've talked to him about it?”

“Among other things,” he looked at me and nodded. I nodded as well, then left.

1CCC, no. 1536

2CCC, no. 1537

3http://www.catholicity.com/catechism/three_degrees_of_order.html

4Saint Ignatius of Antioch

5Matthew 19:29