How I Became Mrs. Watts (38)

CHAPTER 38

We stopped in front of the movie theater. At least I wouldn't have to talk to Ethan that way, I thought. I celebrated the small achievement in my mind.

Ethan bought us tickets and some popcorn. He wasn't being that bad really, but he would never be my dream guy. I hoped that he would find his dream girl. "Why can't you be like this all the time?" I asked him.

"Like what?" he asked, thoroughly confused.

"Oh, I don't know. Polite, I guess."

He shrugged, "I act like this when I don't want anything from anybody."

"I know you actually liked Courtney," I said quietly.

He sighed, "I think everybody knew that."

"No," I assured him, "Hardly anybody knew that. I was just an exception."

"Oh."

"I'll let you read the book, if you want," I offered, "But it does kind of make you look bad." I felt bad about that fact now. He was actually being sweet to me. I added, "But this, right now, is going in a book too."

"The title?" he asked.

I blushed, "Um, I'd rather not say."

We watched the movie, a romance one, of course. I couldn't keep up with it for I was too busy thinking about, you guessed it, Andrew. We shared the popcorn because he had bought one container of it. I didn't mind that much.

When the movie was over, there was a period of silence between us. It lasted until we went to the car. I broke it by asking him if it were possible to drive me to Andrew's house (I kind of let it slip that I was living there). I thought that he would just take that as more information he could use against us as blackmail, but he surprised me and just agreed to it.

We arrived in front of the house. I got out of the car and told Ethan, "Wait just a second and I'll go get the book for you."

"Okay," he said. He looked extremely grateful.

I ran in the house and grabbed the book. "Ella, what are you doing home so early?" Andrew asked me, "I was expecting you to call so I could pick you up from the school."

"No time," I told him, running back out the door.

I handed the book to Ethan. I couldn't believe I actually trusted him with it, but he seemed different now. "Return it to me whenever," I said.

"Thanks," he said.

I nodded. "Ethan, your dream girl, she wasn't Courtney, and she isn't me, but I hope you find her someday. I really do," I smiled the first genuine smile directed at Ethan when I was actually seeing him as Ethan.

"I hope you're happy with Andrew," he told me. "I'm so sorry about what I've done to you. I won't bother either of you anymore," he was truly sorry.

"It's okay. Really, it is. No harm done." I really meant it too.

"I should go," he said after a while.

"Okay, see you around," I said. I waved as he drove away.

I went in the house to Andrew, who was patiently awaiting answers from me.

"So?" he asked, "How was it?"

"It started off really bad, like I expected it to," I said as I settled into the couch.

"And then?"

"Well, Ethan began to be polite. It was weird. He was beginning to be really sweet at the end," I smiled at Andrew. "He's not going to bother us again. I even trusted him enough the read the book."

"Really?" Andrew asked. He sounded as surprised as I felt.

"Yeah."

"Well, I hope you're not going to choose him over me," he teased.

I smiled and leaned into Andrew's embrace, "That would never happen. Trust me."

"Oh, I do," he said while returning my smile.