How I Became Mrs. Watts (8)

CHAPTER 8

“So,” Andrew began. I shook my head and laughed at him. “What?” he asked.

“Nothing,” I stifled another laugh.

“I see,” he said.

“No, you don't,” I said.

“So explain it to me.”

“Nope.” I grinned.

“Fine then. I didn't care that much anyway.” I laughed at how obvious it was that he was lying. “Are you done there?” he asked, “Because you have a class to get to.” His eyebrows were raised at me.

“But I don't want to go,” I whined.

“Just go, Ella,” he whispered to me.

“Fine,” I said, not the least bit defensive. I walked out the door and took my seat in Ethan's classroom.

After class, Ethan blocked the doorway so that I couldn't get out. “What now?” I asked.

“Oh, nothing,” he said, “I just noticed that you and Andrew are spending a lot of time together. Do you think that's something I should mention to my boss?” He paused, leaving a dramatic effect. He moved away from the door to stand behind his desk.

“You wouldn't dare,” I said, eyes growing wide.

“Watch me,” he said, “Unless, of course, you want to give me the book.”

“For the last time, I don't have it.”

“So, Andrew then? Does he have the book?”

“It's none of your business,” I told him.

“Oh, really? How is it not my business?”

“What do you want with it?” I asked, ignoring his question.

“I only want to destroy it, so that no one could ever read it.” I ran at that point, bursting through the door and to Andrew's classroom. I opened the door and stood in the doorway, panting. Andrew was saying something, but I couldn't make out what it was. I looked around and noticed he was in the middle of a lecture. I blushed.

“Excuse me, class,” Andrew said, walking towards me. He smiled slightly as he pulled me out into the hall with him and closed the door.

“I'm sorry for interrupting,” I said.

“Don't worry about it,” he said, “What do you need?” You, I stopped myself from saying.

“I found out what Ethan wanted with the book.” I took a breath, “He wants to destroy it.”

“That makes sense,” he said, thinking out loud, “If there was a book that made me look that bad, I would want it destroyed too. He probably thinks you'll publish it.”

“You think I could?” I asked.

“I do,” he said, “It's a brilliant piece of writing.”

I nodded, “I'll let you get back to your class now.”

“See you later,” he said, nodding as well. He walked back into the room. I was left standing there, deep in thought about how Andrew kept praising me on everything. I thought about all the smiles he gave me. What can it all mean? Surely, he does that for everyone else too, right? I wasn't quite so sure about that.

I started walking back to my dorm, having nothing better to do. I sighed as I sat down carefully on my bed.

***Sunday Morning***

I woke up and threw on a pink summer dress. This was about the last week I could wear something like this without freezing. I usually didn't wear dresses, but I brought some with me for Masses. Speaking of which, I was going to go see if Andrew would take me. I slid on some sandals and walked down to his room. I opened the door and froze when I saw Andrew wasn't there.

I walked in anyway, and went to his desk. There was a small envelope with my name on it. I picked it up and opened it. It read, “Ella, I'm sorry but I won't be able to drive you to Mass this morning. I need to speak to Father Pious about something and it's better if you weren't there for that. You asked if the church I took you to was the closest. That's not true. There's a church half a mile from here. Head out the main gates and turn right. Just follow the road straight down and you'll find the church. Mass is at 10 am, or, if you miss it (like we both know I would), 11:30 am. Sorry for the inconvenience, Andrew.

I sighed as I read his elegant scrawl. I wish I could write like that. I looked at the clock in the room: 9:45. I decided I'd better start walking. Better safe than sorry.