How I Became Mrs. Watts (41)

CHAPTER 41

I'm not a perfect girl. My hair doesn't always stay in place, I spill a lot of things and I'm pretty clumsy, but when I think about life and take a step back I remember how amazing my life truly is and that maybe I like being imperfect. That was the way Andrew liked me anyway, flaws and all.

Before we had gone to bed last night, Andrew had kissed my forehead and escorted me to my door. I smiled and said, “Why, thank you, kind sir.”

“Of course, my lady,” he had said. He was just the sweetest guy ever. End of story.

This morning I woke up to an eager Andrew waiting by the bed with two perfect omelets, orange juice and toast. I smiled at him, “You're getting better at this.”

“Yes, yes, I am,” he smiled back.

“Oh, that's not conceited at all,” I said sarcastically, but with a grin.

“Nope,” he said cheerfully. I pushed the covers off of me and sat up. I invited Andrew to sit beside me and we ate our breakfast.

The classes went by really fast today and I was so happy about that. We came home after picking Oliver up and I got down on the floor and started playing with him. He giggled at me. I poked his nose and told him, “Nose.” I figured I might as well teach him some things.

Andrew watched us for a few minutes, looking over the top of the newspaper he was holding. “What are you reading?” I asked him.

He looked kind of embarrassed, “The comics.”

I laughed at that for a good minute. Finally I stopped to breathe. Andrew was staring at me like I was crazy. I grinned at him and said, “That figures.” I laughed once more. He smiled and rolled his eyes. “Alright,” I said after a while. I patted his leg twice and got up, “Dinner time.”

Andrew hadn't moved. He didn't even look up. I stole the newspaper from his hands in one quick swipe and threw it across the room. “Aw, what did you do that for?” he pouted at me. I laughed, took his hands, and pulled him to his feet.

I took some ham out of the fridge and searched the cupboards. I found a box of scalloped potatoes. “Okay, this is really easy. We're just going to fry the ham, and the potatoes have directions on the box,” I said to Andrew. He swallowed hard. “It's okay, really it is,” I smiled to prove my point. “We can do anything,” I said, “Together.”

“Right.” I was glad that he was agreeing with that point.

I helped him make the food, we ate it, and put Oliver to bed. Soon enough, Andrew said, “I'm tired too. I'm going to go to bed now.”

“Alright,” I said. I helped him turn the lights and tv off. I felt my way down the hallway and into my room. I slept for a few hours, then was awoken by a thunderstorm outside. I heard Oliver whimper and I went to get him, since my room was closer to his than Andrew's was.

“Dadda,” Oliver said. I picked him up and started walking to Andrew's room. I was pretty positive he was up as well.

I met Andrew in the hallway in front of his bedroom door. “You didn't have to get up. I was going to get him,” he said.

“No, it's okay. I couldn't sleep anymore,” I told him.

“Dadda,” Oliver said again.

Andrew moved out of the way and I went in the room. I put Oliver in the middle of the bed. Andrew went back to his side of the bed, which was not the side I usually slept on. I slept on the right side, for the most part. Andrew was on the left side of the bed. I smiled subconsciously. “He's going to fall off that side. Maybe you should sleep there,” Andrew said. He smiled slyly.

“Oh, you think you're smart, do you?” I copied his smile. “Okay!” He laughed at me. Oh, how I loved his laughter! I thought, even when it was directed at me. I smiled genuinely. I sat down on the bed and slipped under the covers. I yawned and laid my head down on the pillow. I watched Oliver until he fell asleep. Andrew was asleep pretty soon as well. I watched the two of them sleep for a while. They were so peaceful. It was cute. I noticed that the storm had passed and I went to sleep.

***The Next Morning***

I woke up to Oliver playing with my hair. I heard some laughing that I automatically recognized as Andrew's. I suddenly felt weight on my stomach and I knew that Oliver had been placed there. I opened my eyes then. “Finally, you're awake!” Andrew said.

“Oh, shut up,” I teased him.

“I don't think I will,” he said, matching my tone. I rolled my eyes at him, like he had done to me just yesterday. “You're impossible, Ella,” he said. He whispered that statement.

“Thank you,” I replied. I acted like it was a compliment. He leaned in and I could feel his breath on my face.