How I Became Mrs. Watts (44)

CHAPTER 44

“I love you too,” I said to Andrew. I wasn't stammering this time, which really surprised me. The smile that came in response was the best thing I had ever seen. Andrew kissed me with such passion that I wondered where it came from. I didn't know he had that in him. I smiled behind his lips. I could feel him smile as well. “Can't breathe, Andrew!” I managed to choke out. The kiss had lasted so long that my oxygen had run out. Part of it was my fault though. I had simply forgotten to breathe. Andrew immediately released me.

“So, 'Ethan, you can go home now'? What was that about?” he asked me.

I sighed and began to explain the situation to him, “When I ran off I kind of got my self lost. I sat down on some stairs in front of somebody's house because I didn't want to get more lost. I know, it sounds stupid.” I blushed.

“No, go on,” he said. I knew all his attention was on me.

“Okay, well, eventually a car pulled into the driveway and Ethan stepped out. It was his house that I had stopped at-what luck!” I said the last part with just a touch of sarcasm.

Andrew smiled and I continued my story, “I told him of my little predicament, well, ours, really, and he was really sweet about it. He nearly demanded that I go home and threw my in his car. I felt like I was being kidnapped! But then we pulled up in our driveway and he let me out of the car, forced me, in fact. I came inside and read your note and I just assumed he had come in to check on me or something of the like.”

He laughed, “I love how you referred to the driveway as ours.”

“Oh,” I blushed again.

“But Ethan was gone before I came. How long were you in the house?”

“It couldn't have been more than five minutes.”

“Hm,” he said, obviously in thought, “He must have peeled out fast then.”

“Probably,” I said quickly. I didn't want to waste time thinking about Ethan when I had my prince charming right in front of me...and his son as well. I couldn't forget about Oliver. Who could forget about him? I wondered. I picked him up from where he was sitting so patiently just watching us. I placed him on the couch and ran to get a book from his room. I picked a short board book titled “Baby Angels.”

Andrew was on the couch beside Oliver when I came back. I sat down on Oliver's other side and said “Baby Angels by Jane Cowen-Fletcher.” I showed the cover of the book to Oliver.

“We can alternate,” Andrew said, meaning that we alternate the pages that we read. I nodded and let him start with the first page.

“Baby angels watch me wake, follow every move I make,” he read.

“Baby angels see me climb, stop my tumbles every time,” I continued.

“Baby angels say, 'Uh-oh,” when I decide it's time to go.”

“'Uh-oh!'”

“'Uh-oh!'”

“Outside, where I want to be-baby angels, follow me!”

“Angels guard me as I go, then tell the ones who need to know.”

“Baby angels join my play. But most of all, throughout each day...”

“Baby angels keep me near those who love and hold me dear.”

“The end!” I said as I closed the book.

“Well, we don't have to worry about Oliver running off like that, do we?” Andrew said.

“No, not at all,” I grinned. Oliver was such a good baby.

I patted Andrew's leg and hopped up, pulling him along behind me. Where, you might ask? To the kitchen, of course!

“Good, I need food. I'm starving!”

“You are not starving, Andrew. You've had food today. You are merely really hungry. Starving means that you are dying of starvation,” I corrected him.

“Okay, Miss Smartie Pants,” he grinned to show he was teasing, “I am really hungry. What's for dinner?”

“Uh, cheeseburgers?” I ask, completely unsure. “I was hoping you had an idea.”

“No, cheeseburgers are fine. As long as we have pickles to put on top.” He quickly checked the fridge and said, “We're all good. Pickles are in stock.”

I had to laugh at that because he was just being so darn cute. I showed him how to make proper cheeseburgers and we enjoyed the rest of the night as a family, because they were my family.