How I Became Mrs. Watts (4)

CHAPTER 4

I woke up bright and early Sunday morning, and got dressed for Mass. Then I realized that I didn't know where any Catholic churches were around this area. I figured that if I asked Andrew he would tell me. Yes, I've gotten over calling him Andrew. I sucked up my fears and trudged to his classroom, hoping, praying he would be there.

I walked up to the door and knocked slightly. It came open, and I got a glimpse of Andrew sitting behind his desk, working on his next lecture. “Yes, Ella?” he asked, pushing his glasses up. I blushed, but turned away before he could notice.

“I-I was wondering about the churches in the area. I got up this morning and I realized that I didn't know any Mass times or even where the nearest church was,” I admitted.

“Oh, that's alright,” he said, jumping up, scaring me half to death, “I was just about to head out myself. Actually, if you hadn't barged in when you did, I would have been late. Follow me.” I nodded coolly and waited while he grabbed his coat and keys and rushed out the door. I followed closely behind him as he went to his car. He motioned for me to get in the passenger seat. I don't know why I got in the car, but I did. I felt I could trust Andrew completely.

He started driving and, after a few minutes of silence, he said, “I hope you don't mind that this church is kind of far away. It just 30 minutes, but it's one of the most beautiful churches I've seen. It's not the closest but I think it's the best.”

“That's okay,” I said. As long as I'm with you, everything's okay, I thought, but didn't say. He couldn't know that I had a crush on him, he just couldn't. I wouldn't allow him to know that, especially when he thought of me as just a student of his. “Do you mind if I turn the radio on?” I asked.

“Go for it,” he said. I tuned it to my new favorite station, 89.3 The River, a Christian station. I found it a few nights ago, when I was bored of homework. It reminded me my old favorite station, back in New York. A favorite song of mine came on, “Smile” by the band Kutless, “On a plane somewhere again,

I take my place in line, just like every other time.

I slide into my window seat.

She was sitting there

One seat over so I said, 'Hello, how are you today?'

With my smile I could see the hope within her eyes,

And I knew that something's different today.

Though everything's the same, inside there's something real,

A faith which causes me to change. (But what's different now?)

A spark is gleaming in my eye, like diamond stars that fill the sky,

I think a smile says it all,

A smile says it all.

The conversation presses on,

As miles pass below, she said, 'I have to let you know

You seem so different to me.'

There is a joy inside,

The love of God is all I know from which this could originate.

With one smile I could see, the faith we share inside,

And I know that something's different today.

Though everything's the same, inside there's something real,

A faith which causes me to change. (But what's different now?)

A spark is gleaming in my eye, like diamond stars that fill the sky,

How I Became Mrs. Watts ✓On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara